Chapter 13: To the mountains

Alteria let out a sigh of relief when Ieza finally agreed to call for a halt. Nine days had passed since their departure from Nirbo, and the three companions had been riding inland day after day. For the first time in her life, Alteria had seen the blue line of the ocean recede behind her until it disappeared completely, the continent enveloping them entirely. However, more than the loss of this familiar landmark, it was the change in climate that had most unsettled Alteria.

No matter how much Nanthamo assured her that summer still had many days ahead, the temperature struggled to exceed what her companion had always identified as the chill of the cold season in Saisio. For several days, she persisted in wrapping the travel blanket she had been given around her like a cape in an attempt to warm herself. This operation, in fact, didn't make the already challenging task of horseback riding any easier. With limited time available, Alteria had to learn the basics of riding on the go. The first day had been a true ordeal for her, despite the patience and docility of the old Boreas, who didn't take advantage of any mistakes to challenge his rider, often acting on his own to follow the group smoothly. Most importantly, as Alteria appreciated, he never responded to the spirited black mare's playful calls for interaction that she directed at the two other horses.

Tired of having to control his own mount, Ieza had ordered Nanthamo to ride ahead of the others to lead the agitated horse away. As a result, the young man spent most of his time as a scout, dashing off at a full gallop as if carried by an ebony tornado. Ieza then took advantage of the calm brought by the disappearance of the duo to try to teach Alteria the basics of riding, which resulted in her experiencing pain and soreness each evening due to the day's errors. Each new day brought its new lessons and accumulating fatigue. On that evening, the Selven had pushed their progress until the last moments of twilight, and it was with extreme weariness that the young woman had allowed herself to slide, if not fall, from her horse to set up their makeshift camp.

Before she could even move to unpack her belongings, Ieza invited her to join him on the top of a hill overlooking the dirt road. When the young woman reached his side, the Enartian extended his hand toward what she thought was the northwest.

"Do you see that shadow in the distance?" Alteria squinted her eyes to try to discern what the Selven was referring to in the fading light of the setting sun. With some effort, she managed to make out a dark and irregular line on the horizon.

"That jagged shape?" she asked, waiting for confirmation.

"Exactly that one. Our destination is finally appearing."

"Is that shadow Agathil?" she exclaimed, impressed by the supposed size of the Enartian city if it could be seen from such a distance.

"That shadow is the mountain range within which Agathil is nestled," Ieza calmly corrected. "We should reach its foothills in three days, and it will take us another three days to reach the city itself."

The young woman restrained herself from sighing in discouragement at the thought of having to ride for so much longer and contented herself with discreetly massaging the lower part of her sore back. However, her movement didn't escape her elder's sharp gaze.

"You're making progress. Soon you'll be able to ride without injuring yourself."

"Pain is a great motivator for improvement," Alteria replied, while massaging her now numb loins more vigorously, "without intending any disrespect, Selven, I hope not all lessons in Agathil are conducted in the same manner."

The old man let out a slight laugh that caught his young companion off guard. Alteria had never seen her companion break from his stern demeanor, except for the evening at the inn in Nirbo, but that was a rare occasion. As she stared at him, she caught a brief glimpse of mischief in the Enartian's eyes and a faint smile forming on his lips. However, this stolen moment didn't last long, as Ieza immediately resumed his stern expression upon hearing the galloping of a horse approaching them.