第三十章Sokka & Lynn

Sokka stood in the very back of the long throne room of the Fire Nation the following day. He felt nervous as he wasn't sure of the junior minister's next step, and he'd have to be ready to follow the man whenever.

"You can do this, Sokka, we've done much harder things," Suki squeezed his hand.

"I know... but I just have a really bad feeling about this one... I'm not sure why.

The couple watched a large number of Fire Nation officials settle into the hall for their assembly. He waited for what seemed like forever, while Zuko made many announcements and discussions that Sokka could not pay attention to. He let out a quiet yawn. Sokka, couldn't imagine taking Zuko's job. And he was glad that the Water Tribe had different ways of taking care of things. He let out another yawn as his girlfriend lightly jabbed his ribcage, making him realize that the planned scenario was about to take place.

"As many might know that the queen has been accused of attempted murder." Zuko began, "And as of now, the evidence proving her innocence has been brought to the surface." The Fire Lord gestured for servants to bring forward the items.  

"Minister Isuka," Zuko demanded as he stood from the seat on his throne, his voice low and serious. No one else dared to speak, as it appeared to the crowd that Zuko was fuming.

"Yes, Lord Zuko." Isuka stepped forward, kneeling on one knee.

Pointing at the items laid out in front of him, Zuko continued "It seems that someone working under one of your divisions has framed and accused the queen of treason."

"My sincerest apologies, Lord Zuko." The man lowered his head "I vow to do better."

"Might you know who it is who did such an act?"

"I may have a few suspects in mind, I pledge to conduct an investigation and bring them to you once I am able to, my lord." Isuka bowed one last time before returning to his spot in the assembly.

Sokka watched as Zuko made eye contact with Isuka, before his golden eyes glanced over at Shun who seemed unsettled, darting his pupils left to right as if looking for someone in the crowd. Shun eventually made eye contact with Zuko, and to Sokka's amusement, the man jerked his body backward slightly when meeting eyes with the Fire Lord, who knows what's up.

"The queen shall be released from prison and return to her place, after this assembly. I will personally be at the prison to welcome her back, so whoever committed such treasonous acts should be better off not making another move ." Zuko glared down at the crowd.

⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅

Lynn stared blankly at the portion of food as she sat in an empty cell. Her hands were numb and red from the cold.

What use was there to warm up her hands? To hope for her release? To fill herself up with food she didn't deserve?

If it hadn't been for her staring at the waving bag, her parents wouldn't have had to let go of their honor or pride only to be second-class citizens in Yu Dao.

She literally owed her life to the old couple. If they hadn't adopted her after finding her in a burned-down village, she would have died an early death.

Her stomach wasn't even growling, as she felt the acid in her stomach in her throat, and her limbs trembling from the lack of energy.

Every time she tried to close her eyes, in an attempt to sleep the thoughts that were eating her alive away, the vain grin, and the eerie voice of Ozai echoed in her head over and over.

The only time she'd passed out from the extreme lack of sleep, Lynn was not able to escape another nightmare.

The people of the colonies were always asked which nation they chose after the war, and she thought she had made her decision. But at what cost? Denying that she looked like an Earth Kingdom woman, with slightly wavy hair and green eyes? Denying that her family practiced many Earth Kingdom traditions that brought them joy? Denying that her parents actually preferred the Earth King over the Fire Lord? She lied to herself that she was bringing honor to her family by marrying Zuko when in reality Zuko would probably be the last person on Earth her parents would want her to be with.