9 | All Alone

Evelyn's POV:

One foot in front of the other is what I have to keep reminding myself as I walk down this long and grand hallway that I call my home.

My hands are interlocked at the front, as my two maids walk slowly behind me.

I was heading to the dance.

The dance that I have been dreading my whole life. Yes, this is only my second one of the season. But to me, the first one didn't really count. This one does.

A lot.

My mind was racing, along with my heart, as I couldn't stop repeating the events that just took place in my room.

When Kane was this close to kissing me, or the fact that his gentle hands fixed the crown sitting upon my head, or maybe it was his strong grip that held onto my waist so tightly, firmly holding me right where he wanted me.

My brain kept going back to his goregous eyes. And the way his looked deeply into mine. The way his pupils dilated every time ours interlocked.

It was wrong. And we both knew it. I think everyone does.

In no story does a princess end up with her body guard.

It's against the law in Agevin. It's not even possible.

As a princess, I have only a few duties. That is to get married, breed a few puppies, and then become queen. Those were my only responsibilities.

And the fact that this person is getting in the way of it. And why. Because he has a good grip and strong eyes, that he is suddenly making me nervous, and causing me to feel things I KNOW I shouldn't?

My dress followed behind me, as I could feel tiny bits of sweat dripping down my back.

If I had it my way, I would go back in my room right now, change out of this heavy ass dress, and not come out of those four walls forever.

I don't even want to see Kane's face again. I am afraid that soon enough, I will not be able to control myself. And that kiss that almost happened. WILL eventually happen.

Now, I am finally starting to understand why Kane put down this rule of not getting to know each other to begin with.

****

I was soon downstairs, as I began to walk to the ballroom doors.

But as I looked up, I soon saw the one person I had been dreading to see this whole time.

Kane.

He stood their, as tall as ever, as he smiled down at my parents who were holding one another in their arms.

My mother's smile, perfection as her blushed out cheeks made any man look in her direction, and my fathers strong stance that made him look as SCARY as ever.

But Kane, on the other hand, stood before them. His hands tied in a knot behind his back, as his sexy smirk smiled down at each word, they said.

I closed my eyes shut as I tried not to think about him that way.

If I were going to fulfill my responsibilities, I needed to stop thinking about Kane.

Nothing happened in the bedroom, and I need to accept that.

He is nothing. He is just my bodyguard. Nothing more, nothing less.

I sighed out as I began to walk towards them.

After a few steps, Kane immediately looked up. His lips parted slightly, and as he started at me, I was awe, causing my mother and father to turn in my direction.