RECONCILATION

It had been two months since Jane’s first date with Jeremiah. Both personalities had grown emotionally attached to each other. For the first time in over three years, Jane stepped into a church. She was led to Christ by Jeremiah, and she never felt happier. With Jane and Jeremiah doing virtual Bible study every night, Jane’s faith was growing stronger, and she was losing her interest in The Sisterhood. Her presence hadn’t been recorded for two months and her underground therapy practice was shutdown. Keeping her involvement with The Sisterhood from Jeremiah, she hoped that she would find a way to circumvent the forthcoming crisis.

     Jane drove to Jeremiah’s house and found Jeremiah sitting at the balcony wearing a t-shirt and a knickerbocker. She touched down from her car and teased, “So doctors wear knickerbockers on weekends?”
     “You talk as if this is the first time you’re seeing me wearing this in months,” Jeremiah said, walking towards Jane. “Welcome to my humble abode, my queen,” Jeremiah kissed her fingers.
“There’s nothing humble about a three-storey building, doctor,” Jane raised her eyebrows.
“Is there something humble about a lady that drives the latest BMW X7 model?” Jeremiah folded his lips.
“Its 3 pm, and I don’t like the weather. Won’t you invite me in?” Jane questioned.
“My humble abode? Its too humble for a lady like you,” Jeremiah retorted.
“Get out of here,” Jane walked in herself, and Jeremiah joined her.
     As Jane entered into Jeremiah’s three-storey foyer, she was greeted with a grand crystal chandelier that illuminated the space with a dazzling radiance. The floor was adorned with polished marble tiles, and the walls were adorned with tasteful art pieces of great medical practitioners such as Dr. Jonas Salk, Dr. Patch Adams, Dr. Ameyo Adadevoh, Professor Oladapo Alade and Dr. Ben Carson. Plush velvet sofas and intricately carved coffee tables filled the room, creating an inviting space for relaxation. In one corner of the living room stood a state-of-the-art television, framed by a sleek entertainment unit. The dining area harbored a huge table and six chairs, providing a space for meals to be enjoyed. A spiral staircase led to the upper floor that harbored the master bedroom and a rich bookshelf. Overall, Jeremiah’s three-storey duplex exuded an aura of elegance.
     “I will never understand why a bachelor like you stays in such a huge building,” Jane sat on a sofa.
“One, I didn’t build it; it was a gift from the hospital. You know, best doctor award. Two, my family comes here sometimes,” Jeremiah took the television remote.
“Don’t you dare,” Jane dared.
“You watch cartoons?” Jeremiah asked curiously.
“What? Am I too old?” Jane counter-questioned.
“I didn’t say so,” Jeremiah dropped the remote. “I’ll be right back,” Jeremiah walked into his kitchen.
     A few minutes later, Jeremiah returned with a tray of delightful blend of fried rice and jollof rice with a can of orange juice by the side. Placing it on the dining table, Jeremiah invited, “Woman, come here.”
     “Are you commanding me?” Jane stood up and walked to the dining area.
“Do you want to beat me?” Jeremiah returned to the kitchen.
     Jane reclined on a chair and moved the tray towards herself. Jeremiah returned with a small plate of a delightful blend of fried rice and jollof rice on his left hand and a bottle of water on his right. He sat opposite Jane, took a spoon of rice, and said, “You can eat now—its not poison.”
     “Hope its not a disaster,” Jane indulged in her meal.
“Its my mom’s old recipe. Tastes good to me,” Jeremiah remarked.
“This is terrible! You’re such a bad cook!” Jane commented.
“Are you serious?” Jeremiah questioned.
“Got ya,” Jane laughed.
“Not funny,” Jeremiah hissed. “Sorry about the juice, I don’t take wine. Only got that juice can for you. If it were just me, that would be a bottle of water,” Jeremiah added.
     Jane extended her spoon to Jeremiah’s plate and took a spoonful of rice.
“So, yours isn’t enough?” Jeremiah smiled.
“What? Do you want to beat me?” Jane raised her eyebrows.
“Jane, I’ve been wanting to discuss something with you,” Jeremiah said.
“What’s that?” Jane inquired.
“I need to see your parents,” Jeremiah answered.
“Why? We’re not dating and its not as if you want to marry me now,” Jane said.
“You once told me you haven’t made contact with your family for years. Jane, as Christians, we need to keep malice aside. They’re your family; the people you knew before me,” Jeremiah explained.
Jane sighed and said, “Its not that easy.”
“That’s why I’m here; I’ll go with you,” Jeremiah extended his hands towards Jane.
“Okay, if you say so. It’s a two-hour journey and we will go after service tomorrow. You know they’re going to ask if you want to marry me, right?” Jane smirked.
“Oh no! Did you see that? Can’t believe that guy just fell from a skyscraper and is still alive!” Jeremiah exclaimed, looking at the television.
“Silly boy,” Jane remarked.

     After service, the next day. Jane bought gifts and Jeremiah drove her, in a two-hour journey, to Jane’s family house. Reaching her family house, Jane noticed her father’s old four-bedroom bungalow had been revamped to elegance.
     The elegant bungalow stood with a cozy and inviting exterior. Its warm, earth-toned walls complemented the surrounding landscape. A tall coconut tree, and medium-sized trees filled the building’s surrounding and a well-maintained gate, offered a glimpse of the home’s character. The roof, covered in terracotta tiles, provided a rustic charm to the bungalow. The large windows provided an abundance of natural light. The balcony provided a resting place for visitors and home dwellers. The building’s surrounding landscape exuded tranquility.
     Jane alighted from Jeremiah’s car and saw her father, Matthew Omoruyi, reading his Bible under the coconut tree with his spectacles. Locking eyes with Jane, Mr. Omoruyi approached the gate and opened it. He stood speechless with tears rolling down his cheeks. Jane rushed to hug her father and her tears couldn’t let her say much but, “I’m so sorry, dad.”
     Jeremiah stepped out of his car and gave a deep sigh. He was filled with so much joy that not only had he led a woman to Christ but to her long-lost home.
     Jane’s mother, Omoye Omoruyi, who was at the side of the house doing her laundry, ran towards Jane, struggling to hold wrapper in my place.
     “See my daughter, oh,” she cried. “God has finally heard my prayers, she has returned,” Mrs. Omoruyi exclaimed, while hugging her beloved daughter.
“Let’s go inside,” Mr. Omoruyi said.
“I want to introduce you all to someone,” Jane beckoned to Jeremiah. “This is Jeremiah, my good friend. He was the one who insisted on me returning back home,” Jane added.
“God bless you, my son,” Mrs. Omoruyi prayed.
“Amen,” Jeremiah said.
“Let us all go inside. There’s a parking space inside; it’s not safe for an expensive car like this to be outside,” Mr. Omoruyi explained.
“You all can go inside; I’ll join you shortly,” Jeremiah said.
     Jane walked in with her parents and halted the moment she saw her sister, Ivie. Now, a changed being, Ivie burst into tears and exclaimed, “I’m so sorry, sis… I’m sorry I hurt you.”
     Jane comforted her sister with a hug and responded, “Its not your fault, Ivie. Chris was an idiot anyways.”
     The family of four walked in and Jeremiah joined them later.

     About twenty minutes later, Jane walked back to Jeremiah’s car to retrieve her purse. She was shocked to see Mary on a white cloak, at the back of the car.
     “Come sit, child,” Mary invited.
“How did you get here?” Jane questioned with a stern look.
“Sit and we shall discuss,” Mary patted the back seat.
     Jane hesitantly joined her and closed the car doors.
“The Sisterhood is the largest society of women in the country. How do you not expect me to know that you were going to reconcile with your parents?” Mary questioned.
“What do you want, Mary?” Jane counter-questioned.
“A few years ago, you would call me ‘mother’. Now, its ‘Mary’. That’s how far you’ve grown; fearless and bold. I love that,” Mary smirked. “That doctor has really transformed you. You haven’t attended our monthly communion in two months, and your therapy practice has stopped functioning. Mind telling me, why?” Mary inquired.
“I want out… All these years I’ve stayed with The Sisterhood, I’ve felt nothing but loneliness. How do you cope? I stayed in a duplex all by myself, drove a brand new car, and had my own business but still, there was no modicum of happiness in me,” Jane sniffed. “I can’t do it anymore. That path isn’t for me,” Jane added.
“I understand you, daughter. Even I feel it too,” Mary uttered.
“You do?” Jane inquired.
“Daughter, there’s a reason why women don’t leave The Sisterhood even if they want to. This isn’t because we coerce them to stay but because of what is out there. You can’t be doing our type of job and expect safety. The Sisterhood gives protection. Even within The Sisterhood, there are enemies. You leaving will only make you vulnerable,” Mary responded.
“What are you saying?” Jane questioned.
“Jane, I will let you go, but I cannot guarantee your safety,” Mary answered.
“You will let me go?” Jane questioned.
“Yes, child,” Mary answered.
“I thought the rules were, ‘no turning back.’”
“Jane, I made the rules and I can amend it.”
A tear rolled down Jane’s cheek, and she said, “Thank you.”
“I see that you really love him,” Mary said. “I once loved my ex-husband like that. He only gas lighted me when he found out. Jane, are you prepared for what is to come?” Mary asked.
Jane nodded.
“Very well then. I will inform The Sisterhood of your absence, and I’ll do everything in my power to protect you and your family,” Mary assured. “When do you plan on telling him?” Mary asked.
“Soon…” Jane answered.
“Do it quickly. They say, ‘secrets tear people apart.’ You’re happy, and I don’t want to see that dwindle,” Mary expressed.
“How long will it take for you to get your purse?” Jeremiah called out from the house entrance.
“Go and meet your king,” Mary commanded.
“I’m so sorry you weren’t able to produce children. You would have been a great mother,” Jane opened the door and left.
     Mary sighed and muttered, “I already am.”