Chapter One - Return To The Magic

"Move it!"

The lobster-like demon captain shouted towards his crew. Unlike everyone else who was struggling to stand up straight on the quaking boat, shaken by the violent waves that early morning, the captain fiercely walked by without a problem. His right hand and left claw calmly crossed behind him while he walked by his crew standing by the sides of the ship trying to pull up a big and heavy net.

One of the crewmates was a familiar red-skinned demon who was once a high-ranking affiliate of the Emperor's Coven. Cast out by the society she used to outshine, Kikimora felt a heavy disgrace that weighed her down ever since the defeat of Emperor Belos. After the Boiling Isles was saved, she was sent into incarceration by the orders of a new government.

Kikimora was mortified. As a former dignitary from the Emperor's Coven, she was ashamed of herself for having to continue her life being somebody lower than what she used to be. She was eventually given a chance to reduce her designated sentence through community service. Being the former emperor's assistant, of course she received a sentence that'll take most of her lifetime.

But, Kikimora convinced herself to take on the job. After all, it's the only way she'll get her freedom, regardless of how many years it'll take. She had plans for how she'd move on with her life, one of which involved ruining someone she despised the most. That one specific person who she had to work with back in the coven.

That scorching hatred fueled Kikimora to keep tugging on the net she grabbed, assisted by the other crewmates.

"Looks like we got it!" One of the crewmates commented as he helped pull the net up to the ship. The crew was more than excited that they'd found their target trash slug. As opposed to regular trash slugs that were massive in size, the one they're after and managed to find was smaller, small enough to fit into their capture net.

The angry waves that hit the ship from left and right weren't helping. It kept getting the crewmates off balance and made them tumble, but after a while, they were getting the hang of it, all except Kikimora. Out of all the community services that she could've volunteered in, one that required physical work wasn't her expertise. She isn't someone who enjoys a day of physical work.

Visibly annoyed by the resisting catch, Kikimora pulled on the net like her life depended on it. To her startlement, just that exact moment, the catch wasn't resisting anymore. Instead. it eased off on its weight, causing Kikimora to tumble behind, unlike the others thanks to their incredible build.

The trash slug was pulled up into the ship and for a brief second, high over the floor. Kikimora, sitting weakly after accidentally hitting her back on the ship's wall, had her eyes on the flying trash slug being pulled up with the net, before realizing it was rolling across the deck towards her.

Having late reflexes, Kikimora failed to avoid being squished by the slug. Thanks to her small size, she was crushed under the slug, almost suffocating her to death. Seeing her little accident unfold, the crewmates laughed at her out of amusement and the captain snickered along.

"Better watch where you stand next time." The captain, Salty, chuckled as he picked up the medium-sized slug after failed attempts from Kikimora to push it away.

Not well-receiving of the laughter disdaining her, Kikimora's eye twitched. "Just who do you think you're speaking to?" She asked, trying to show her dominance.

The muscular lobster captain laughed, "Who are you? The new empress?" Salty said.

Kikimora groaned grouchily. She tried to brag about her not-anymore-existing status as the emperor's assistant. Almost everyone knew who she was, but ever since the coven was disbanded, no one cared in the slightest anymore. She was left to rot as an outcast known for formerly serving Belos.