Chapter Eleven - Grom Time (Finale Part II)

That night at Hexside, it was a lively chaos. The only time students were willing to head back to school. Grom was the event held once a year that kept them eager to attend Hexside. After all, it was the only annual school dance that featured a gladiatorial match between a chosen student and the mighty Grometheus the Fear Bringer. No one would waste a moment to miss that.

It was one in a thousand chance that Boscha was chosen as Grom Monarch this year. Deep down, she is nervous. She is afraid that everyone will see what she fears the most but during preparation before the party, she convinced herself to keep that anxiety away from everyone's sight. She didn't want anyone to see her weak side. So, she acted brave, carrying on as if Grometheus wasn't at all a challenge for her.

Of course, everyone was looking forward to seeing the Grudgby star take on the famous Fear Bringer who tried to escape the school's basement once a year. Boscha was cheered on by everyone who knew she was Grom Queen, which partially relieved her but it wasn't enough to keep her calm inside.

"Big night, huh?" Skara asked a fruit punch-addicted Boscha, who took several scoops from the bowl nervously.

"Obvi," Boscha said.

The two stood by the buffet table. The music was already playing a catchy tune that set the night's tone. Like last time, a Snaggleback with glitter spread on his shell was hung upside down by his wrists, serving as the party's disco ball.

"End me." The Snaggleback whined, feeling the blood course from the rest of his body up to his head.

Amongst the crowd that was enjoying the music played, with some dancing to the beat, Emira was within them. Her bright yellow sheath dress that had a matching bow tie was amidst one of the most eye-catching dresses at the party. She enjoyed whatever was served as the buffet as she waited for Hunter's arrival.

At this point, she was unable to. She just couldn't wait to see how Hunter would turn up on his first Grom night, let alone have her as his date. After a few minutes of keeping an eye on the gym doors, waiting for him to emerge from the other side, she let up. Emira noticed Willow hanging out by the bleachers.

Knowing her, she would be the one to have a conversation with Gus, but he was busy prepping his material as the event's MC. So, Emira neared her. She hasn't seen Hunter ever since his supposed wormfly infection, which she hoped turned out fine. If anyone knew about Hunter's whereabouts, it's Willow.

"Willow!" Emira exclaimed.

"Oh! Em," Willow averted her attention to Emira. "What's up?"

"Have you seen Hunter anywhere? I haven't seen him since this morning at school."

Willow gulps silently. She had not seen him either, at least not as long as Emira did. The last time she saw Hunter was through the news, fighting Belos on a burning cargo ship. From what she could understand, he wasn't fighting him alone. News reported Adrian Graye was there fighting alongside him, along with three other allies whom she assumed one to be Lilith.

Since then, Hunter never called back or informed her he had come out fine. She was more than worried that he got himself killed. Although that thought crossed her mind, she was half positive he was okay. He's a warrior who fought against Belos multiple times, and with help by his side, she was more than sure he was alright. Although that was the real reason, she knew she couldn't tell Emira, for Hunter's sake.

"Um... uh...- Yes! Uh... earlier, he went home early, first? Because of his... wormfly infection?" Willow asked.

"Mhm," Emira hummed. "Well, we agreed to go to Grom together."

"Y-you did?" Willow asked.

Emira scoffed while rolling her eyes, "Let's hope I don't get stood up again like my last Grom date." She crossed her arms.