WHY AN AFRICAN REVOLUTIONARY AND COUPIST THOMAS SANKARA WAS KILLED

A revolutionary's cry rang and reverberated across the African plains in the arid center of Burkina Faso, where the sun views the desolate Earth and the wind whispers tales of a stormy past. Thomas Sankara, the late former president of Burkina Faso, was this revolutionary. When Sankara came to power in 1983, he quickly turned into a dedicated, self-sacrificing rebel who, during his four years as president of a small, destitute country, worked to improve the lives of regular people while also elevating his nation's status internationally. Unfortunately, on October 15, 1987, armed men stormed Captain Thomas Sankara's office and killed him along with 12 of his staff members in a bloody coup d'état.

EARLY LIFE UNDER FRENCH COLONIALISM

We'll talk about the history of an icon. Captain Thomas Sankara, the revolutionary leader of Burkina Faso, was born on December 21, 1949, in the Upper Volta town of Jaco, which is now known as Burkina Faso. The third of Joseph Sankara's ten children, Thomas Isador Noah Sankara was born. Throughout the Second World War, Joseph Sankara served in the French army, and Margarita Kinder, his mother, fostered in her kids a strong sense of morality and a love of learning. As the son of one of the few African bureaucrats, he spent his formative years in the sultry Southwest town of Gowa. then given a job by the colonial state. Thomas had a rather wealthy background. The family resided in a brick home at the top.

The French authorities referred to Howard Volta, sometimes known as Upper Volta, as a backwater region with few resources that were considered worth exploiting other than as a labor pool for young, physically fit men. This meant that, in comparison to the norm in France's wealthier colonial possessions, Upper Volta had less investment or infrastructure development than did many African colonies in the coastal regions. Few French authorities from Paris traveled to the Upper Volta. In Gaua, there were sufficient.

Thomas Sankara, however, occasionally had minor disputes with European children in school or throughout the town, which allowed the young Thomas to observe how differently they lived from the African populace and how much more affluent they were. Just a few days before Upper Volta became independent from France when Thomas was 11 years old, he and a few pals arranged a fake ceremony to lower the French flag and raise the flags of the new country. Thomas was not involved in the fight that broke out between European and African youths as a result of the mock ceremony.

The principal of the school insisted that his father beat him as punishment. His dad declined. Young Thomas thereafter focused intently on his academics, excelling in both arithmetic and French. He regularly attended church, took part in a church Scout Troop, and devoted a lot of time to his studies in religion. Some of the priests pushed Thomas to enroll in a seminary school after completing his main coursework because they were struck by his enthusiasm and drive to learn.

Thomas originally concurred, but he also passed the test needed to enroll in the sixth grade in the public school system. He succeeded on this test. They said that Joseph Sankara had not prayed fervently enough for his son Thomas after he informed the priest that he would not be enrolling in a seminary after all.