Four: Ice Cream

This summer...

I don't think I was prepared for to be getting up this early for dress shopping

I don't think I was prepared for to be getting up this early for dress shopping. Rory had to physically drag me out of my bed. Now I'm sitting on the counter chairs eating cream while watching a YouTube video. Dad had left for work down at the marina which left Rory and I by ourselves for now. "Susannah picking us up." Rory tells me as put a spoonful of Honey Nut Cheerios into my mouth.

"Shit. You think Belly's with them?"

Rory shrug slipping her shoes on. I sighed and finished my bowl. My jealousy of last night memories came back and I hated it. I hated how two people who I am very close with are now getting close with each other. I saw how she looked at him. Even though they just met it's how I use to look into his eyes. How I used to laugh at his cheesy jokes. I can't let this ruin my summer.

I didn't come here to win Cam's heart or beg him for his love. I came here to do summer like I've never done before. I made sure my hair look brushed and now like the frizzy mess it usually looks like. It was hot today. I had on a black tank top, denim shorts and my converse. My locket still rested on my chest. I opened it taking a look at the at the kids we used to be.

Last Summer: Three years ago...

"I think this is exactly what we needed." I tell Cam eating my ice cream. Cam nods and lick his. The East Coast sun was blazing down upon us while we sit and eat our delicious frozen treat. It was July which is when summer heat really kicks your butt. My parents were inside arguing. Again. Rory took us out on our bikes and we came back to the beach.

"We're getting this everywhere."

I look down at our hands and saw the pink and white colors drip down from our wrist to our forearms. I look back up to see how he had vanilla ice cream around his mouth. I started laughing at him and he looked at he as if I was crazy. "What?" He asks furrowing his brows. I take my hand rub away to vanilla ice cream from his mouth. Cam smiled at me and thanked me. Rory was watching us with her camera in her hand. Dad found his old Sony digital camera in the garage and gave it to Rory so she can make summer memories. I was so upset that she got it and not me but in dad's defense, Rory was older and could take care of it better.

"Guys! Over here!"

Cam and I turned our heads and looked at Rory with the camera ready to take our picture. I leaned my head on Cam's shoulder and smiled. Our towels hanging off our shoulders and our ice creams lips and hands. Rory smiled at the sight of us and brought it over for us to see. "Wow, I love it." I say in awe. Cam who I didn't know who wasn't looking at the camera was looking at me. "Me too." He says without even giving it a glance.