chapter i. the balcony situation

There was only two downsides of only getting into the University of Michigan in Lorelai Mendoza's opinion.

A) it wasn't her first choice of colleges.

B) her ex-boyfriend went there.

But alas, you get what you get and you don't get upset.

Hence why she was currently dragging up two suitcases of luggage, and an additional duffel bag wrapped around her shoulder. She got in on a half scholarship for soccer, promising her a spot on the colleges woman's soccer team.

This also meant that she shared an apartment with the three other freshmen girls that took up the other available spots.

Upon finally reaching the door of her new living quarters, Lorelai dropped her duffel bag and released the handles of her two suitcases, cursing herself for refusing the help of her father when he offered.

Opening the door, she was met with three other girls. Two brunettes and one redhead.

They all sat around the table, slurping on what appeared to be cereal. However, what seemed to be a friendly breakfast was interrupted as all heads snapped towards the newcomer. The three freshmen had all arrived yesterday, giving them a head start on the roommate and teammate bonding.

Their short history of already kindled friendship did not stop them from all shooting up from their tables, all simultaneously introducing themself in a mess of incoherent words whilst each grabbing one of the hispanic girls bags and bringing them into the apartment.

Lorelai smiled at the gesture, waiting for them to quiet down before speaking, "I did not catch a single word of that."

All opened their mouth to speak again, but the redhead shushed the other two before they got the chance. "She's not gonna understand us anymore if we all speak at the same time, idiots." She informed the other two, before her blue eyes fleeted bacn to the newcomer and a large grin overtook her features, "I'm Sydney."

And thus, the coherent introductions began. Lorelai learnt that the brunette with light eyes was named Carson and the brunette with dark eyes that matched hers was named April.

The three girls then directed Lorelai to her new room for the rest of the year, all mumbling different variations of the same sorry that they had moved into their rooms before they got to discuss who wanted which room.

Lorelai didn't mind, as long as she had a bed.

And alas, a beautiful friendship between the four girls blossomed.

Later that same night, all girls had opted to eat their takeout Thai food on the floor of the living room, rather than at the table or on the couch. But that didn't seem to matter to any of the girls, as it had been nothing but laughs and deep secrets since the arrival of their fourth and final member of the freshmen four.

"Okay, okay, I got one. What is going to be your least favourite part of college?" April asked, digging into her noodles.

"Pfft, easy! The classes." Sydney responded at the same time Carson spoke, "exams."

April let out a groan, "that's a given, give me something good."

All eyes expectantly fell onto the girl who hadn't answered. "The possibility that I could run into my ex boyfriend at any given moment." She shrugged nonchalantly, jumping slightly when all three girls fell into a repetitive cycle of collective gasps.

"See! That's what I wanna hear!" April jumped in her seat excitedly, pointing to the Mendoza girl with her fork.

"Okay, give me all the details. I'm talking name, age, grade, occupation, relationship duration and reasoning of break up." Sydney listed off quickly, taking in a deep breath at the end of her ramble.