chapter iii. game day

Just as promised, the girls all sat in a line in the stands, watching the boys play their first game of hockey for the season. Sydney in Nick's jersey, April in Luca's, Carson begrudgingly in Adam's and Lorelai in Rutger's.

The Mendoza girl couldn't deny the feeling of dread that crept up on her when Mark took the ice, as if he belonged there. And she couldn't shake the feeling of self pity when she found herself watching him all night instead of the people she actually came here for.

Old habits die hard.

The girls had been nothing but supportive, however. Sydney and April were a bundle of comforting glances and shoulder rubs, whilst Carson booed everytime Mark did something right, which resulted in her apologising to the Michigan fans around her with the simple lie that she didn't understand hockey.

At least that forced a laugh from Lorelai. Her teammates had her back, despite only knowing her for two weeks, and the thought alone got her through the night. 

Alas, the game finished and the boys had won. And upon deciding that she wasn't going to let Mark dictate her college experience, and that ignoring his existence if she did cross his paths, the girls decided to stick around for their new friends in order to congratulate them on winning their first game of the season.

So, as all fans from both teams rushed to leave the stadium in time to beat traffic, the four girls leaned up against a white wall, all eyes searching the crowd for four hockey players.

Upon spotting them with a few of their other teammates, one that Lorelai instantly recognised as Mark, the four girls began their trek over to them. She wasn't going to let him stop her from showing her support to her friends, regardless of any feelings she held towards him.

Ignore. Ignore. Ignore.

Weaving their way through the crowd, Carson released a loud whistle, which caught the attention of the entirety of apartment 207, but not their teammates who continued to walk away. Lorelai released a breath of relief.

Not for long, however, as when Nick exclaimed "my favourite girlies!" all of them halted in their step to see what their teammate was blabbering on about.

Sydney and April put a little more speed in their walk as they hurried to congratulate the boys win. However, Carson slowed to to slow pace of the obviously hesitant Lorelai, "one peep from that asshole, and I'll jump him. I swear on my mothers life." Carson mumbled to Lorelai, who simply laughed and shoved the aggressive girl slightly.

"You guys were so good!" April exclaimed, wrapping her arms around Luca before travelling to the next one in line. She almost hugged someone Lorelai recognised as Dylan Duke, but stopped herself before muttering something about stranger danger and returning to Luca's side.

"It's cause we could hear Carson booing in the crowd, really boosted my need to win." Adam explained with a teasing smile. Carson simply rolled her eyes, "I wasn't booing at you, I was booing at-"

The Warner girl was cut off as Sydney back handed her in the stomach, a larger than life smile still on her face.

"You look in my jersey, Rory." Rutger smiled, giving the girl a one over as he approached her and slung an arm around her shoulder.

Marks eyes narrowed at the boy, who had his arm wrapped around his ex girlfriend, and his chest tightened at the sight of her clad in his jersey. It had always been number 94, and the sight of a different number ignited an anger in him. The shock of seeing her again had worn off, now replaced with something dangerous.

The clearing of a throat interrupted the reunion between the two groups of neighbours, and all eyes fell onto Luke Hughes and Ethan Edwards, the latter gesturing with his hand to the group of unfamiliar girls, mainly April, who smiled at the boy.