ii

"I know it sounds ridiculous, but just the sound of her voice drives me insane" Jan explains. She is sprawled out on our old green couch, a glass of wine securely in her manicured hands. She had gone with blue nail polish this time, and it was flamboyant against the deep red of her glass. Her equally as red hair was touching the floor as well, and I tried not to make it noticeable that I had not vacuumed the floor that week. In my defense, it wasn't as if I lived at home anymore, so there was no real consequence for not helping at home.

I suck on a bite of vanilla ice cream, as Jan's hazel eyes flare. I don't really think she needs to take up the whole couch like that--I mean I'm on the floor and it's my house.

"I don't know why the manager hired her, if she was just a side piece--Just a pretty head of blonde hair.." Jan sighs. Her shoulders are pale, and her skin is freckled from her recent trip to Cabo. I eat another bite of ice cream, nodding agreeably.I found offices to be annoying myself. My mom is supposed to be here any minuet with lunches I'm hoping that will help Jan's mood. My mom said she was bringing a surprise, and that usually meant it was something I didn't want.

I yank a knot out of my curls before it descends into my bowl of ice cream(The joys of the fluff are small and few).

"This wine is awful.."

"It's French"

Jan sits up on the couch. She's studying me with her dimples. It's odd, but her lopsided grin always meant that she had something up her sleeve, something we normal folks hadn't figured out yet. The grin drops as I stand, halfway done with my last bite of ice cream.

"The fact that it's French should make it better though..."

I gesture to the wine rack next to the Tv, Books, and a long since dead plant my mother refuses to get rid of: "Drink one of the other 20.."

The kitchen tiles are torture. I never understood why my mom felt the need to keep the house at 30 degrees consistently. She said she never understood my need to wear shorts in April. It was hard to argue with. I stood on my tippy toes walking the short distance to the island sink. Our family photo was on the counter next to it. My mom said it gave her inspiration to keep going, and I always found that interesting. My dad was always pissed that it was covered in water spots.

"So, did you see Eli that other day..?"

A small skip of the heart. In fact, I almost broke my bowl on my way to open the dishwasher. I took a deep breath ignoring the heat in my face. There was nothing to be embarrassed about, but the way that Jan was looking at me made feel squeezing. Her lopsided grin always meant that she had something up her sleeve, something we normal folks hadn't figured out yet. She had been on this mission for years.

"Yeah, why?"

"Oh," The knowing oh. It's the worst thing really. The tone that makes your head spin with questions and concerns, but you don't ask them. They know you won't either. "He had just mentioned  you is all..."

I hum in response putting my bowl away. It's nothing a family friend would not do. I join Jan on the other side of the couch. She inspects my bare legs. Her hands are just as icy as the tile in the kitchen.

"Is that coconut oil?"

I laugh with a nod, she continues. I am terribly ticklish.

"Hmm"

"Hmm?"

"Eli mentioned you used coconut oil..."

I sigh, my cheeks feeling stuck in a smile. Eli and I were the family friends people wanted together in their perfect fairy tail, and in every sense of legends it made sense. Why wouldn't the children of two long time best friends who conquered the world not get married? Well, perhaps because Eli is Eli and I am I.

"Jan"

"Ava"

Her hazel eyes meet my brown ones and I feel elated to have this moment with her. Jan is like my second mom and partner in crime. My first cup of alcohol (Bourbon) was at her house, and my first crush was deposited into her ear before my mothers.

"What's with all this Eli talk..?" I say. My brow is raised as high as I can physically get it to be. Now, her cheeks have a dusting of pink.

"What? He really did mention you.."

"But, you're adding all this---finesse to a mutual McDonald's run.."

She sips her wine, nodding an understanding nod. She places her long hair behind her ear. "You know I think it would be perfect, maybe not now, but some day..."

I sigh leaning fulling back into the cushions. They're old and floppy after all the years of video games and movies. I stare up to the ceiling and count the little popcorn pieces.

"What does he think..?"

I'm not sure why I ask. It's not like I like Eli anymore. I thought maybe I did, but that was just the result of it being constantly shoved into my brain by everyone and anyone. I was an adult now, and I could date someone of my choosing.

"What do you think..?"

I stare back at her.