iv

The apartment is a swarm of chaos and I have to laugh. My roommate has been moving in for about three months now. It was very, very apparent that motivation was not an easy skill for her. I step over her boxes of books, that are full to the brim with YA titles--Fangirl, Clockwork Angel, Red Queen, The Raven Boys--and into my room. She--Aliyah-- was fast asleep on our three seater couch. I knew this because reruns of cops were flashing on the TV, and her cropped, planitinum blonde hair was peaking out of her black hoodie. She's probably getting drool on the carpet for all I know, but that was me last week so no judgement here.

I quickly empty my bag into my already over flowing laundry pile and open the sliding closet door. As I glance around, I realize everything in our two bedroom apartment is overflowing.It was impossible to open anything without instantly being greeted with a swarm of mess. Chips, clothes, board games, even tampons if you looked hard enough. I shove what's left of the hanging clothes into my blue duffle bag, and toss in some fluffy socks for good measure. My mom will find a way to keep the house as cold as possible, I have to be prepared.

My phone vibrates in my pocket, and I think I've jinxed it. My mother is hopefully awake, and hopefully not hung over. But, alas, it is not her. My phone displays the name Elijah instead of the name Mom. I chew my nail--a terrible habit--as I read it.

Eli: You still up for food?

I close the closet door. A part of me was always up for food, but another part of me was never down for food. I listen to my stomach for once. It said--annoyingly--Eli is asking you to food. An event I was sure Jan and I had already discussed as casual and normal. My stomach insisted on flipping and wobbling.

What does he think?

What do you think?

Ava: Of course! Do you have a place in mind? I can meet you, since I'm at the apartment.

I'm half way to pocketing my phone when it buzzes almost immediately in my palm. The sensation stops me short. Jan, was making me wonder, of that I was sure. Maybe, Eli and I were--I don't know—something?I had stopped thinking of such possibilities a long time ago, but my brain was remembering it all in waves. I glance at my phone:

Eli: Nonsense. I'll be there in fifteen :)

=====0=====

"How is there still McDonald's in your car?" I'm laughing about the crushed, red, fry box on the floor--and Eli is not. Well, at least he's not giving me a smile. Try as he might, I can still see the small way his mouth quirks at the corners. Then, he laughs--accusingly--it fills my ears, and I realize with an extreme amount of certainty--I am so screwed.

"You're really going to come for me like that in my own car? That's low Ava!"

"Oh" I chuckled, " I do apologize..."

He glances at me as we slow at a red light. The sun is long gone by now, but the sky is still a field of luminous blue. Eli has one hand placed on the wheel. He is all teeth, pretty hazel eyes, wrapped in a blue hoodie. I am definitely screwed. So, screwed I should move to another country just to be safe.

The car rolls forward.

"You're so annoying..." he comments.

I scoff, "You keep saying that, but I think it's actually you who's annoying"

"Oh is that so?"

We pass by the local Walmart, and it's packed like it always is. A stray golden retriever is running around the parking lot, causing a scene with its barking and fanatic tail. The silence is nice though. Within the car, that barking and noise of traffic was only something you felt not something you absorbed in your ears. It gives me time to focus on not staring at the newly attractive boy next to me. Well, it's not newly but---He really did mention you--happens to be ringing in my head.

"Sorry about my mom by the way.."

I snap my head to Eli, a green light burning against my brown skin. The comment is so random, and quiet my brain has to rewind his words once or twice. He's saying things differently again. I sigh, my eyes trained on his long lashes for a moment, a pause ensues--and it's too long a moment for my reply because he speaks again.

"I mean, I know you don't care, but it's still ridiculous that anyone has to deal with her drunk ass at four in the afternoon..."

"Well, you already know it's all good.." I comment. His eyes meet mine again, too long a look again. It reminds me of when I had math with him Sophia year. He turns on his turn signal, the noise pulling me back into reality. I decide to flip through the options of apps on my phone. I never download games anymore, and all I ever played was dating sims if we're being honest here.

The place Eli chose was yet another good, fast-food place—-Well, depending on the location. Freddie's was a good place--again depending on the location--if you wanted a fun, easy time.

Eli's long legs are out of the car before I am once again. His truck is noticeably tall, and I am noticeably short. The night air chases a shiver out me, and I feel the goosebumps sprinkle my skin.

"cold again?"

I race with my little steps to catch up to him at the door. "You're definitely the annoying one..." I chuckle.

He opens the door, his tall frame blocking my view from the inside of the restaurant. The parking lot had been mostly empty, so I assume if anyone is here it's just hungry college kids like us. Once I'm able to stand next to Eli, I am greeted by the familiar bright reads, contrasted by footlocker stripes and checkers. At least, that's what black and white reminds me of.

Eli and I opt to both get a burger and fries. The ice cream and fries combo will be dearly missed, but perhaps next time. If there's even a next time Ava.

We're number 12.

Eli, insists on retrieving the food.

He's acting different, but that's the thing about hyper analyzing. Everything is always as it seems, while never being as it seems. I thank him for the trip, and he asks if I need anything else.

A family of four comes in as he does. I shake my head, already knowing he'll bring ketchup for both of us. He forgot to get me some on a family rode trip one time, and he's been sucking up in the ketchup category for years now.

The family has a little girl and boy, and they are balls of laughter. This Freddie's possesses a play area, and it isn't long before their curly hair disappears behind a half wall and the door mysteriously opens itself. Elis sits across me in the booth. It's by the window, the perfect view of the Main Street. His blue hoodie clashes against the red expertly. I know they're contrasting colors, but he adds a new boldness to it. And then, he's smiling at me, hazel eyes dancing. My hands pause on my fries, and I raise a brow. Simple ,casual. He glances to the play area, then to me again, a laugh playing on his lips:

"Remember that time when---"

"Shut up!" I exclaim. I throw a fry at him for good measure, but he roars in laughter all the same.