𝙲𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 2: 𝚂𝚞𝚜𝚙𝚒𝚌𝚒𝚘𝚗

1
.
.
.
2
.
.
.
3
.
.
.

"A mess, honestly." Max blurted as he ate macaroons with his best friend. "Like? This is getting ridiculous. Lady Furina just accused him for the entertainment." Navia shook her head in disapproval. The two continued to debrief about the situation, discussing it over tea and sweets.

"I'm going to ask them to be my co-partners." "Navia I don't think that's a-" Navia shushed Max. "Now as your boss, you will do a separate investigation. I'll need inside information from the opposing side." Max takes a sip of his glass. "And how am I supposed to do that?" "You're on talking terms with Lady Furina. Just be sneaky about it." Navia winked at him. "Fine. I'll do what I can, Boss."

.
.
.

A few minutes go by and Silver leaned over and whispered something to Navia that made her eyes sparkle. Max looks at her curiously. "You got good news?" "No but I need you to sit on the edge of the couch and pose." "...What?" Navia tells her two bodyguards to position themselves in front of her. "Just do what I say. We need to make a good impression on the traveler." Max felt a strong nudge that pushed him to the side.

His eyes roll from the theatrics of his friend as she introduces the Spina di Rosula. "From mediating disputes and providing protection, to solving conundrums — you name it, Spina di Rosula does it." "And I, Navia, have the honor of being its renowned president..." Max continues to eat a few macaroons, making Paimon's mouth water.

"So you want to investigate as well?" "That's right. I've always kept an eye on the serial disappearance cases — my interest stems from a matter back from my father's time." Max stood up as he brushed the crumbs of his lap. "I'm Max. Boss's private investigator and Fontaine's one and only star~" He shook the small fairy's hand. The two travelers introduced themselves to the Spina di Rosula.

"Judging from the look of things, I find Lyney an unlikely mastermind." "Yup. All the evidence just keeps pointing at him. It's too fishy." Max chimed in. "Really? We think so too! That's why we're looking for clues now." Paimon says as she adjusts her mustache. The party continues to chat and discuss the case, joining forces in investigations.

"We'll be making some preparations first. Just be sure to let us know if they start revealing Lyney's tricks." Navia's attention shifts to Max. "I'm assuming you have a plan?" "Yup but I might get sidetracked. Neuv's been looking for me since a while ago." They both nod and Max heads off to the doors.

Paimon floats to the Navia. "So... He's not gonna join us? I thought he works under you?" "Oh he does. I just have a different assignment for him." The silent traveler nods in unison with Paimon.

.
.
.

The sounds of footsteps echoed throughout the opera. Max walked up to the podium, making eye contact with his brother. "So... How's life?" Max leaned on the bar. "Well, the trial against Mr. Lyney will begin tomorrow. Right now, both parties are gathering evidence." "Oh really? How's her investigation?" Neuvillette silently grumbled. "She's... Lady Furina will manage."

"...Anyways... Look what I have~?" Max brought out the brochure from his pockets. The beige colors highlighted each nation's finest luxuries and tourist spots. "I heard that the Moonchase festival is absolutely the perfect time to visit-" "Max, may I speak with you in private?" The sudden question made Max stop talking. He felt a small pit in his stomach grown

"Uh... sure?" Max hid the nervousness in his voice. Neuvillette stepped down the podium and headed to an empty hall, Max following behind him. They finally reach their destination and Neuvillette faces Max, leaning on his cane for support. The windows start to dampen as drops of rain start to fall.

"Do you think Wriothesley is the type of person to commit infidelity?" "...Huh?" Max was a bit stunned by the question. The overwhelming feeling of fear slowly took over his body. Did Neuvilette know? "That man loves you. He would never." The old man sighed, looking down in despair. "I don't know... He's been a bit distant lately." Max holds his brother's hand, reassuring him. "I have never seen a man commit themselves to anyone unlike Wrio... He loves you with all his heart."

Neuvillette looks at him with hope. Unlike him, Max was more in tune with human emotions and feelings. It was one of the things Neuvillette loved and hated about his brother. Max was too human. It scares Neuvillette to the core of the possibility that his own brother would fall into sin like the rest.

"Maybe I'm just reading it wrong. Thank you, Max." "No prob." Max smiled to himself. Any traces of worry were now gone as the little white lie he told protected his affair. His secret was now safe. He cleared his throat. "Now, since I helped you, do you mind returning the favor?" "Of course. What do you need?" Max brought out a little notebook of his. "I'm just curious about the trial. Feels like something I can write about." Neuvillette's eyebrows scrunched together, annoyed from his brother's request.

"Maximilian, a trial and case should not be treated so lightly, especially if a murder is involved." He shook his head in disapproval. "Cmonnnnn, Neuv. We both know everyone loves stuff like this. Plus, I need new material for an album." "Find one out of the court." Max looked at the floor, thinking of a way to get information. He suddenly had an idea. "Fineeeee. I was gonna tell you what Wrio did..." Max mumbles as he walks away.

"Wait." He suddenly felt a strong grip on his shoulder. 'And snap.' Max turned to his brother, who glared at him. He raised his eyebrows, signaling Neuvillette to speak first. "...What do you wanna know?" "Not much. I just need you to answer three questions."

"Why did Lady Furina immediately accuse Lyney of the murder?" Max clicked his pen on his notepad, ready to take down everything he says. "Lady Furina is known for her theatrics. She just got carried away and knowing how she hates embarrassment, she went along with it."

'So no actual reason to press charges...' He leaned on the wall as he wrote. "Does she have evidence to prove her claim? Sources please." Neuvillette sighed. "She has sent multiple guards on her behalf to investigate. Both parties have acquired the same information." Max's face scrunched up, clearly unsatisfied with the answers.

"Do you know what her trump card is?" "No, but I heard that Lady Furina doing a deep dive in Mr. Lyney and Ms. Lynette's past." Max's ear perked up. He finally found something useful. 'If I could give this to the Boss before the trial, we can prepare them for anything.' He tucked away his little notepad and pen. Neuvillette tapped his cane on the floor, alerting Max. "Now, it's your turn. What did my husband do?"

"Um... He uh..." Another tap from his cane, stronger this time. "He what?" "...Wrio accidentally punched a melusine in the ring." A strong, thunderous storm slowly brewed in the sky. "Key word: Accident. The little guy just jumped in the ring and... was collateral damage." Neuvillette stormed off, his heels clicking through the halls.

"..." Max awkwardly walked away, planning another encounter with Wrio as an apology.

.
.
.