3|never say never

IT TOOK EVERYTHING IN QUINN not to slam each and every one of the damn trophies against the wall. Being left to her own devices with nothing but a polishing cloth and hours to kill was not a good thing for her psyche.

She did all she could to think back on any minuscule conversations she'd had with her parents about her birth parents.

There a few things here and there she recalled hearing throughout all her life. Her parents never took the route of hiding the fact her and Harley were adopted, to them it was just a fact of life. Of course, this brought inevitable questions from curious children. They were told the same thing each time, that their birth parents couldn't take care of them and they requested no further contact.

Was it possible her parents were wizards? Obviously not wealthy ones if they couldn't keep their kids. Or maybe they were separating and didn't want children in a broken home. Quinn could've mulled over the possibilities all day long and it still wouldn't get her any closer to the truth.

The door opened and she turned, preparing herself to see Filch who would no doubt give her another lecture on how to properly polish a goblet.

Somehow, it was worse.

"Hey," Harley greeted, his eyes going anywhere but hers. She could see the bruises blooming on his face and the black eye she had given him.

The guilty part of her was quickly devoured by the idea that he deserved it. He told her she was a disappointment, rather she give him a reason than be a disappointment when she was trying to be good.

"What are you doing here?"

"McGonagall thought we could use sibling bonding time." He said it like the idea was ridiculous. Why would anyone want to be alone with her?

"Hmm," was all Quinn had to say to that.

She tossed him a rag blindly, unsurprised when she heard it crumple to the floor.

He cleared his throat, "I decided I'll apologize for earlier if you do."

"Then you're not sorry."

"What?"

"I didn't know you needed to be told real apologies shouldn't come with strings attached."

She heard him pick up a trophy and begin polishing until it was squeaking. "Are you not sorry for starting a fight?"

"I'm sorry you look so dreadful," was all she could bring herself to say.

"I'm sorry you're so dreadful."

"Wow, you're really good at the whole apology thing."

Quinn wanted this conversation to be over, but she never could seem to drop things once started. No smart remark will go unanswered and no argument will go unwon.

She didn't have to be looking at her brother to know he was rolling his eyes. "Look, I was trying to be the bigger person."

"By giving a conditional apology."

"Fine, then I'll drop it."

"Good."

And so, the hours passed in silence. Quinn occupied herself by reading the names off the trophies.

Most Goals Made In One Quidditch Season: Claire Campbell

Fasted Snitch Caught: Rylan Bailey

Student Potion Master: May Raynott

Student of the Year: Rachel Temples

By the time Filch came to fetch them, Quinn's fingers were sore and her patience was thin. Especially as the caretaker walked slowly past the display case, inspecting each trophy before allowing the two to leave. When they did, they didn't bid each other as much as a good night.