5|blessing in disguise

THE SUN WAS SETTING OVER Hogwarts, casting the school in a orange-red glow. Nights like this always eased Quinn's restless spirit just enough for her to slow down and relax. She sat with Adam and Charolette at the top of the astronomy tower, discussing anything and everything. From poor quiz grades to that cute guy in Transfiguration to that time Quinn almost fell from the school owlery.

"Where should we hide the polyjuice potion?" Charolette asked. "It'll take about a month to brew. The lacewings alone need to stew for twenty-one days."

Quinn looked down at the lake, watching the sunset in the ripples. "Well, where would no one look for one?"

"We could hide it in the common room and just say it's an assignment," Adam suggested.

"Everyone who's in our class will know that's a lie," Charolette said.

Quinn suspected if they did that, Nevaeh might just be smart enough to put two and two together. Sometimes, being in the "smart" house was a curse.

Or maybe it was a blessing.

"We could say it's a personal project," Quinn proposed.

"You think people won't recognize a polyjuice potion?" Charolette worried.

"Would you?" Adam asked.

"I'm not taking that chance. Hiding it in plain sight is almost as dumb of an idea as doing this in the first place."

"We could hide it under one of our beds," Quinn said.

"What about when people come and clean? Won't they find it?" Charolette asked.

"Have you ever seen Filch in the dorm rooms?" Adam replied.

"We'll pocket that one. Any better ideas?"

"For someone vetoing so much, you aren't throwing in any ideas," Quinn mused.

"That's because I don't have any."

"We could it it in the Forbidden Forest."

"Adam, that is the dumbest fucking thing to ever come out of your mouth."

He grinned. "Quinn."

"I'll push you off this tower."

"Wait, guys," Charolette chimed in. "I know a place."

Adam and Quinn shared a look before glancing back at Charolette who had a Cheshire grin neither had ever seen on her. It wasn't like Charolette to scheme like this.

She led them through the castle and back towards the Ravenclaw common room. A few turns before the entrance, Charolette stopped in a circular room that was decorated with moving paintings arranged from ground to ceiling.

Charolette approached on, it was a few inches taller than her and of a fall landscape. Sparing one last glance over her shoulder, she pushed the painting to the side to reveal a passage way carved from stone. Both Quinn and Adam stared at her slack jawed.

"You knew about a secret passageway and never told us?" Adam demanded, but he was too bewildered to sound vexed.

"I don't know where it leads, I was too nervous to walk down it alone."

"Then get us?" Quinn said it like it was obvious.

"You two are too impulsive for your own good, showing you a secret passageway was never going to end well."

Quinn hated that she had a point.

"Well, fingers crossed no one knows about this," Charolette said. "If we do this, we should probably see where it leads."