one

I have never understood why life can change so fast.

One second, I'm top of my class at Ilvermony School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. I don't have many friends, but I cherish the ones I do. My friends sit next to me at a long, wooden table. There are doodles and initials etched into this wood, it feels like a step through time. The professor drawls on and on, and in the back of this dimly lit classroom, I struggle not to fall asleep.

The door swings open, I hear the footsteps of someone new. I ignore it, as my arms are folded on the table and my head is rested upon them. Im too tired to care who it is.

"Miss Montgomery?" A voice pierces through the atmosphere of quiet chatter and boredom. I sit up, and my face goes hot as everyone's looking at me. I finally realize it's the Headmistress's aid standing next to the professor. "Come with me, please." He speaks. My professor waves me along, and I have no choice but to follow.

"Have a seat" The Headmistress tells me, as her aid leaves me behind without one word, slamming the door shut. An older woman stands beside her. She's intimidating, for an old lady. Her silver hair is pulled up, and her emerald robes flourish the ground. She has this look in her eyes, and for once, I can't tell what it is. Reluctantly, I take a seat before them.

"It's nice to meet you, Ms. Montgomery, I'm Minerva-" She begins to speak, but I'm quick to finish her sentence.

"McGonagall. My mother told me about you. Call me Leah, please." I find it hard to meet her eyes as a pit opens up in my stomach, and a feeling of dread hangs over me. She nods and moves closer to me. Gently, she places a frail hand on my shoulder. "I thought it would be appropriate for me to deliver this news myself, given the circumstances."

My breath stops, and I feel as if my heart has frozen in place.

"Your father passed early this morning, dear. I'm so sorry."

My eyes focus on a single speck of dirt on the cobbled floor. I suddenly realize this castle is always so cold. I understand it's old and ancient, but why is it always so cold?

"I assume you've met your aunt, Winifred Ollivander?" Minerva asks. I manage a nod, my eyes still studying this single speck of dirt. Doesn't anyone sweep in here? Surely, it's not that hard to charm a broomstick and get the job done.

"You'll finish your term here, at Ilvermony, but you are to live with your aunt in London when the term finishes. You'll be attending a new school. I understand this is a lot to take in, so if you have any questions..."

"No, I would just like to go now" My voice trembles as I speak. I thought I might not be able to at all.

"Very well then...your aunt asked me to pass along this letter for you. I'm so sorry we have to meet under these circumstances, my dear." She clears her throat as I stand to leave. I reach for the letter she's brought for me. As I do, I catch a glimpse of her face, and I can finally decipher the look in her eyes. It's pity.

First my brilliant, exceedingly smart mother, and now my no-maj father. What a pity.

-

London is weird.

Everyone here speaks differently. Everything is different. Even the magical world is different than what I'm used to.

My aunt drags me along crowded streets, filled with young witches and wizards. I can't help but shoot strange glances at them when I hear them speak. Someone steps on my toes, and I yelp, jumping closer to my aunt. "Be careful, love! Diagon Alley is probably a lot more crowded than what you're used to!" She's got that right.

With her grip tightened around my wrist, she yanks me into a store, Flourish and Blotts. It's less crowded here than the streets. I finally feel like I can breathe. "I'll take care of your books, dear. Leave it up to aunt Winnie!" She hoots and walks away with my parchment list of books, asking a shopkeeper where to find each one. I look around, taking it all in.

In the far back, I notice a boy my age. His strikingly blonde hair parts down the middle. I can only assume his family has money by the way his suit is tailored perfectly to his shape. He's not big my any means, but he's got a presence about him. I take him in as he flips through the pages of a purple-covered book.

"Secrets of the Dark Arts?" I ask him about the title as I approach. He jumps, turning to look at me. He quickly puts it down, and brushes his hands off on his dark black suit. "Didn't your mother ever teach you manners? Who do you think you are, sneaking up on me like that?"

I hold out my hand, "Leah Montgomery, nice to meet you." He brushes past me, I stumble a bit and bump my shoulder on the shelf beside me. He certainly does leave an impression, doesn't he? The book he held laid open on a display table in front of me. I close it, and a small smile plays at my lips.

I trace my finger over the author's name, Vivian Ollivander, my mother. Those her knew her best described her as bloody brilliant. Maybe even a little bit mad. I described her as my other half, just as she did me.

She dedicated so much of her life to research and writing. Although, I've never understood her fascination with the Dark Arts. She wasn't a cruel woman, she was quite the opposite. I guess it's just another thing I'll never come to understand about her.

Aunt Winifred pops up behind me, arms full of books. She lets out a heavy sigh and I turn to face her. "Your mother and that brilliant head of hers." She tsks. "I never understood why she wasted so much time on these silly books."

I smiled, "She always said that no knowledge is worth hiding...and she knew everything. She was a walking encyclopedia of all things magical."

"That she was, my love... Why don't we stop at Ollivander's and say hi to your grandfather while we're out this way?" Aunt Winifred suggests, presumably to get my mind off of mom and her books.

"That would be nice." I nodded, setting the book down, and following after my aunt.