01

april 9th, 2002
11 years ago

Driving down the narrow streets of a busy city was not something necessarily ideal for a six year old to remember.

It wasn't ideal at all, for her.

The tinted windows mirrored what was outside, making the sky look slightly more dark than it actually was. It was raining, again. But that wasn't something that made her mood change, no, she was always happy.

"Their happy little girl"

A man she couldn't recognize was driving the car. His black sunglasses hid his identity even more. She was sat in the back seat, next to her older brother Kade and in front of her, her dear parents.

Never paying attention to where she was and how she got somewhere, was a trait she couldn't rid of. Too observed by her own scenarios, her own creations. She was a dreamer, and that was something that never seemed to leave her brain.

Obsessed with fairytales and only seeing life in color, not a single thought questioning the darkness surrounding her because her eyes couldn't see it. They couldn't see through the depth of her happy little life.

The car made a sharp left, picking up speed. Her brother gravitated towards her arm because of the turn, now leaning on her sketchbook she was holding. It wasn't long until he shot up to sit back in his seat properly, but there was something on his mind.

"Let me see your drawings!" Kade shouted at Isabel, while tugging on her purple jeweled sketchbook.

Nearly 10 years of age, being the eldest by four years, Kade enjoyed enraging his younger sister. He felt pride when she'd get upset. At first he believed it would make her stronger, less innocent to the world. It did. That was the problem. Her strength was growing and Kade wasn't fond of it, he was supposed to be the one.

Kade flipped through the pages as Isabel's stomach twirled anxiously. She hated when he would take her things without asking, but above all she was worried Kade would make their father angry again.

"You're so pathetic." Kade chuckled, throwing the book onto Isabel's lap, not caring about how heavy it must've been to be thrown on her lap. She had something he didn't have though, patience. But, she also doesn't know when to shut her mouth.

"Well, sorry I have an imagination and you don't." Isabel retaliated quietly while looking down at her lap, trying to not cause a scene.

Kade barely even heard her but just by watching her eyes roll and her body language shift further away from him, something inside of him grew angrier. He wanted Isabel to feel defeated, not annoyed.

"What did you say?" Kade prys, getting closer. His brown eyebrows furrowed, his face was now tense.

Isabel blocks him out completely. She was good at that, a little too good. Her head stayed down, eyes glued to a page on her sketchbook. The irises of her eyes followed each line she's drawn, tracing it in her head as she analyzed her work. When she really focused on something, it's almost like she can make time stop.. but just for her.

A loud smack went across the side of her face, but she couldn't feel anything, she didn't even flinch. Her mind was in too deep for anything outside of her to matter.