Chapter 25

Warning: mature content ahead!

-Ginger-

I just got done slipping my sleeping clothes on when I hear a soft yet urgent knock. I get up and open the door to see Jackson's face. He looks troubled, almost pained. I instantly think something is wrong back home.

"What's up?" I say with concern, crossing my arms over my chest.

Jackson doesn't say anything, he just steps into my space and slides his arms around my waist. He pulls me into him and leans down pressing his lips to mine, slowly at first then harder. I open my mouth and he slides his tongue in. His lips are soft in contrast to the stubble on his chin. 

I slide my arms around his neck and then pull back. Jackson is out of breath, he doesn't let me go, I feel his hands on my lower back, they squeeze my flesh like he can't get enough.

"Jackson—"

"I need you Ginger, if you tell me you don't feel the same way about me, I'll leave, but I-I have to try."

I slide out of his embrace, and I turn my back to him.

"I-uh, what?"

"I need you Ginger, this isn't just a crush or physical attraction. I need you. And I think you feel the same way."

My heart is slamming into my chest. Desire pools in my belly. I run a hand through my hair.

"Uh, well, fuck Jackson, I care about you a lot, what if this messes things up?"

I turn back around and he shakes his head.

"I would rather know for sure than always wonder. I tried to deny my feelings over and over but they are stronger than ever. You're perfect Ginger, fucking perfect. I would hate to miss out just because I was too scared to find out if you felt the same."

I cross my arms then pinch my eyebrow. Jackson approaches me, his expression is soft, and worried. He pulls my hand away from my eyebrow, and kisses my palm.

"I'm not anything," I whisper, shaking my head.

"On the contrary Ginger, you are everything."

Tears fill my eyes.

"No! Everyone thinks I am but I'm not. I'm not the fastest or the smartest or the kindest. I'm not special in any way, I'm just a bag of pain trying not to drag everyone down with me," I say, the tears spilling down my cheeks. "It'd be better for you to move on and stop pretending that I'm something I'm just fucking not. I'm nothing Jackson, nothing at all."

Jackson's face twists in pain, and it fractures my heart more. He approaches me, and cradles my face in his hands. His thumbs wipe my tears away which just makes me cry harder.

"Ginger, I'm not comparing you to anyone. I care about you. I want the whiskey-slinging, sarcastic, smart, gorgeous woman that I know," he says. My tears won't stop, I can feel shock bloom in my chest. "Being around you is easy, it's effortless, and all I've wanted to do since I started working with you is kiss this lip."

Jackson grabs my bottom lip with his thumb and forefinger. He lets it go and uses his fingers to lift my chin. His lips graze mine and it feels like a storm in my heart has cleared, a storm that's been raging for years. I slide my arms around his neck again, and he grabs my waist, his arms encasing me in strength and trust.

So this is what it feels like, this is how it feels to have Jackson hold me, really hold me.

Jackson deepens the kiss and moves his mouth against mine with patience and passion. He pulls back, slightly out of breath and puts his forehead to mine.