in which one side scorns, the other acts

EVERY SOUL IN CHEKLAIN SILENCED THEMSELVES AT THE REPUNGENT SIGHT OF FATUI SOLDIERS, THEIR FOOTSTEPS MARKING THE SNOW IN DISDAIN. 

Y/N was currently standing uncannily still and bitterly stiff: her arms clasped in front of her while her bottomless eyes traced over the Fatui soldiers like a phantom as they inspected the children whose bodies shivered at the sight. 

The Fatui soldiers were scouting for worthy candidates, and by candidates, they implied children.

To any sensible citizen of Snezhnaya, they would readily admit their children in for a fixed spot amidst the Fatui ranks, be it low or high, merited greater prospects than one could imagine. Yes, the underlying face of death did linger amidst the shadows, however, it would be an even greater forfeiture to deny the wish and verdict of Her Majesty. Thus, such notions were set aside as the lure of the Fatui persisted in their rapacious undertaking.   

However, the town of Cheklain possessed both a scarcity of anchored life and only a tinge of sensibility. To the majority of the town, Her Majesty had long forsaken them, thus, why pay an illusionary debt?

Nevertheless, to defy the will of the gods? That is a brazen death wish. 

"Must they scan the children like that?" seethed Y/N who could only watch as the children were imposed in an orderly line up, "They are merely children..." 

Capitano remains silent as Y/N continues her murmuring, "I would not be shocked if they asked one of us to join them-- I'd personally spit on their shiny shoes if that was ever to occur." 

The gaze of Capitano and Y/N remain brazen and forward as the Fatui soldier's eyes trace over the children's skin searching for flaws like an artist gazing over their painting. However, it was neither gentle nor benevolent. Rather, it was as if a carving knife was nestled in the palms of the Fatui soldiers; readily peeling skin away, ribbons falling to the ground. 

Snow continued to flutter in the wind like a steady heartbeat thrumming. The sky was a foggy haze of grey and upstirring dread that lingered like an everpresent ghost. 

And Y/N could not stand the ache in her bones that clawed at her to leap in front of the children and sweep them into her arms. 

Despite Y/N's evident despise and loathing for her assigned job as an educator, the children still aroused amusement in her soul which longed to be unbounded by her own predicament. From their toothy grins and clamours laughs, the children were glimmering stars and Y/N, despite her brazen gaze, possessed a deep and dangerous desire for them to shine amidst the sully and forlorn. 

It was but a mere wish, yet, she prayed. Not to the Archons, but rather, to the stars and the snow as she has indulged in the books of childhood. To Y/N, prayer was a foolish act, nevertheless, she could not help but glance up at the infrequently parting clouds and into the abyss of a boundless night. To hope, to dream, to long, was her own sacred and tricky prayer. 

Thus, Y/N's expression held the lines of scorn, her arms crossed over her chest in prideful disdain and blatant refusal. 

However, Capitano remained standing still like a soldier entombed in ice and a blanket of snow. Unmoving and indifferent to the scene that unfolded in front of him. His eyes were sharp like a blade forged from crystalline tears while his hands remained seemingly and ironically relaxed: his fingers curled slightly. 

Y/N was far too warped in her own relentless emotions to discern the fashion of Capitano. 

"Capitano?" called Y/N, her voice a low timeless murmur that possessed a phantom of fume, her eyes never once forsaking the children that were now torn asunder, "The Fatui are nothing but scums, may they burn for all they have done." 

Capitano, whose eyes watched each seething line that formed on her face, remained silent at her declaration which uttered itself like a prayer. 

The cries of a child mellow in the background as Capitano's chest twists into a knot- his own heart hardening as Y/N ravels in her lunacy. 

━━━

"CAPITANO IS YOUR NAME, CORRECT?" QUESTIONED THE SOLIDER WHOSE EYES MERELY GAZED AT HIS SHEET OF PAPER. DARKNESS CONSUMING THE TOWN. 

"Yes." 

The solider clicks his tongue, tilting his head upwards to face Capitano- who for his age of seventeen- was awfully tall and considerably sturdy. 

"Are you sure you wish to continue this? It seems that this town-"

"I am going to continue," replied Capitano with the truest of indifference, his eyes blank and pitless. 

The solider held his breath before releasing a subtle puff of white ivory; nodding his head as he gingerly adjusted his mask- he had to ask the higher-ups to receive a new one. 

"Then continue where you stand, Her Majesty will call you when needed." 

NOTES FROM KYLE !

Shorter chapter! 

Hope you all enjoyed it, make sure to take care of yourself!