in which there are promises

Y/N MADE A PROMISE. 

That promise was the very spark of her being- what abled her to continue the endless trudge and provided a sliver of aspiration amidst a graveyard of fallen melodies; ringing sirens whose song was never cast. 

That promise fueled and nurtured the youth of her bones and lit her own sun within her eyes... for is it of greater worth to burn brighter yet all the more promptly: like a star or piece of paper? 

"The stars sure are bright tonight..." remarked Y/N wistfully, her neck tilted towards the heavens.

Capitano nods silently, his eyes grazing over Y/N's rosy cheeks before he similarly tilts his head up. A moment of stillness washed over the two individuals like the coastal waves of Mondstadt: not a word uttered under the soothing songs of a bitter night. The silence poised two separate sensations: one cherished, another perplexed. 

To Y/N, the stillness was like a golden lock: intricate and assiduously crafted. Thus, the horizon laid beyond the gate was only a fingertip away. Her heart thrummed a touch faster and even the snow grew aroused by her transcendent shine. There was another seamless layer of abundance and child-like dream to her, a feeling untouchable and unfathomable like a crane soaring from the depths of water. 

To Capitano, however, the stillness made the frozen air thick as the snow seemed to sink deeper and deeper as he stood idle. It was an omnipresent omen that hung over his vision as memories gradually flowed down his supple hands like water; fleeting. 

Nevertheless, Capitano's jaw clenched tighter while the fabric of his gloves wrinkled under his own silent vigour. 

'It will end soon,' he remarked plainly, absent of longing or grudge. 

"Hey, Capitano?" 

Capitano turned his head towards Y/N who broke her gaze with the stars, "Yes?" 

"Why are you really here?" 

Capitano blinked at her brazen response, his own words jumbling in his mouth like his former self, "As I said earlier, I simply needed an evening stroll... You know that."

Y/N crosses her arms in playful disdain as she nods abstain, "Sure, just an evening walk, huh." 

"There is no need to be skeptical," remarked Capitano who sighed and shook his head, "It is much more peaceful at this hour." 

It was an undeniable truth that Capitano had his own burdens that seemed to mount on his sturdy shoulders with each passing day. From labouring to keep dying heaters on along with lifting leaden supplies- Capitano bustled from one end of the town to another. Obedient and unquestioning to the 'favours' he was set to serve. 

Despite his respectful stature and swift resolve, Y/N could not help but feel the sensations of cordial disappointment. Capitano deserved better than to be ordered like a dog.

 "You're thinking too hard again, Y/N," remarked Capitano plainly whose eyes swiftly discerned the fashion of Y/N's sharpening eyes like shards of glass while she sucked her cheeks in as if answers were to sprout suddenly. 

Capitano has lived alongside Y/N long enough to sense her vexation from a mile away along with the fruit that bears with. Perhaps Y/N's extensive and 'limitless' notions could even be predicted by Capitano without a moment's heartbeat. 

To fully comprehend an individual's ebbs and flows, corners and folds was to easefully live in a house. Each corridor possessed the lingering air of their scent while each item echoed a message from their soul: an intimate and timeless venture. Thus, in Capitano's eyes, he could firmly convict that navigating Y/N's soul would be as smooth as a fresh blanket of snow.