Love Like Ghosts pt. 2 - Jake (witch AU)

Summary: Jake was yours, at least, until the forest called him back into its greedy hands.

Warnings: fluff, kinda sad and angsty, unhealthy relationship, allusions to infidelity, allusions to magic/paranormal activity.

Word Count: 1.8k

A/N: The second and last part!! Even I made myself a little sad with this one. I hope you enjoy!!

~

You startled awake to a noise, loud and thumping, like footsteps. You glanced to the alarm clock sitting on your bedside table. It read 3:16am in glaring blue letters. You leaned forward with narrowed eyes and scanned the room.

Then, you called out into the darkness of your presumably empty house, "Jake?"

No response.

You looked around the room once again, and that's when you saw the blank scrap of paper sitting atop your nightstand. You snatched it up with desperate fingers and crumpled it in the process. It didn't matter, though, once you turned it over and saw Jacob's handwriting scrawled on the backside. Your heart began to pound, loud and hopeful in your ears.

He had been gone for months. Four months and thirteen days, to be exact. The ache in your heart when he had been gone a week or two was nothing compared to how you felt now. You were distraught, lonely and pained with worry, what if something happened to him? You hadn't the faintest clue of what he did when he was gone, and that truth chilled you to your bones.

One day, maybe Tuesday or Wednesday--you didn't know, you'd lost track of the days long ago--his cat visited you. She'd awoken you early in the morning with her incessant yowling at the patio door. You had been so tempted to throw your slipper at the door and scare her away, but she'd blinked her wide, blue eyes at you, and suddenly you were cracking an egg into a dish and leaving it outside. She slurped it up and wandered back into the woods with a fuller belly, you hoped, for Jacob's sake. She had given you a little bit of hope; maybe he was close.

With trembling fingers, you traced over the ink writing on the note and read.

Meet me in the woods. Don't worry about where. Just walk.

All my love,

Jake

Without a second to spare, you roused yourself from bed. You couldn't make yourself worry about the ominous nature of what he was asking you to do, couldn't even think to be frightened of walking in the forest alone. You were seeing him again, and that was all that mattered.

You dressed in haste, fumbling with the button on your jeans and getting your hand stuck in the sleeve of your jacket. You barely managed to get your shoes on without tripping over your feet. You slipped through the patio door once you were ready, making your way to the forest.

You were hesitant to step into the wood line. The trees towered above you like the high walls of a stone fortress, protecting the deep, dark, and unknown insides of their forest. You couldn't see more than a few feet ahead, the glow of the full moon only able to illuminate so much. You cursed yourself for not bringing a flashlight, but you weren't about to turn back, not when you were so close.

As you began to walk, you felt jacket pocket swing back and forth with a pronounced weight. You grappled for it and dug your hand into your pocket, pulling out a small, compact flashlight. Huh. You blinked in surprise, but flipped the switch and watched as a bloom of light flooded the space before you. You swept the flashlight across your line of sight, illuminating the void spaces between the lanky trees and searching for any signs of your Jacob.