Return to the Summerland

I materialized in Blackstone Control. It was a vast circular room with a ceiling that was taller than a cathedral. All around me were Hackers and Psionics hunched over their computer terminals doing whatever Hackers and Psionics do. As a Ranger, my primary mission was stopping the Grimm. The main business of the Union of Psionics and the League of Hackers was finding out where Rangers were needed and sending us there, hopefully before any more fear and unrest could disrupt the Quantum Balance of the Earth. Disrupting the Quantum Balance was all the Grimm were trying to do. Build enough fear and unrest and then invade. That was something that Blackstone was dedicated to stopping.

"Bloody Hell, Eliza you gave us a scare. We thought that the Grimm had got you," a familiar voice behind me said.

I smiled and turned around to spot the skinny form of Thomas Adebayo come running up. Thomas wrapped me up in a fierce hug which I returned. Behind him were two male Psionics.

I pointed to the slumped over form of Carlos Esteban. "Take him away, boys." The psionics grabbed the groggy drug lord and hauled him off to interrogate him.

"Grant!"

I knew that voice. It was my former instructor and favorite Ranger coming by to see if she could torment me even more.

Nicole Heidegger poked her head out of a room. "Get in here and report for debriefing and bring Adebayo with you."

I clicked my heels together and gave firm salute. "Yes, Ma'am."

Nicole scowled at me and ducked back inside the room.

Thomas shook his head. "I don't know why you go out of your way to antagonize her, Eliza. Nicole is bloody well mean enough without you making her even more mad."

"Because it's fun, Thomas. Don't you know me well enough by now?" I said and walked towards the room.

"If that's your idea of fun then I'll pass," Thomas said and followed me.

Thomas and I stepped inside the spartan briefing room to find Nicole, David Ross, and Colonel Nash waiting for us. They all looked pissed.

"Do you want to explain what happened, you two?" Colonel Nash said.

"It wasn't our fault, Ma'am. Nicholas Ross must of hacked my razor phone. That's the only way he could have redirected Eliza's jump coordinates," Thomas explained.

"Look, it's not Thomas's fault. We all know that Nicholas Ross has some of the best hackers in the world working for him. You can't blame him." I said.

Colonel Nash glared at David who shrugged.

"Nevertheless, I consider this a serious breach of our security. Agent Ross, I want Major Glennon informed. The League of Hacker better get on this right away. Agent Heidegger come with me." Colonel Nash said and walked out of the room with Nicole following behind her leaving me and Thomas with David in the room.

David sat down and motioned for us to join him, "That could have gone better."

"I don't understand, David. We got the big bad drug lord. Why is Colonel Nash so upset?" I said and sat down.

"Yeah, this whole operation was a smashing success. With the information the Psionics will scoop out of Esteban's skull that should be enough to stop the flow of Z cold." Thomas said.

"It's not that. You two did well. And congratulations. I can't think of any two Rangers that would have done a better job. Colonel Nash just doesn't like it when the Families interfere in Blackstone operations." David said.

The Families were very powerful and always had been since the days of old Vallon. Blackstone was supposed to run independently of their influence but we all knew that was a crock. All this equipment cost money and without the patronage of the Families, Blackstone would shut down very quickly. Even the US Government was dependent on their wealth.