Calypso

David, Thomas, and I stood at attention in front of Colonel Nash's oak desk in her office in Control while she read our carefully hand typed report. Outside the windows, The Earth gently rotated in front of us, and I saw great white clouds and the vast Pacific Ocean that looked like a great blue carpet sprawled everywhere with the Hawaiian Islands as little dots, pinpricks in the fabric. Again, I couldn't get over the beauty of the Earth as seen from Colonel Nash's office. It always reminded me of what we were fighting for.

Finally, Colonel Nash finished reading. She took off her old fashioned reading glasses and laid them on the desk in front of her. She steepled her fingers in front of her and looked at us.

"Agent Ross, Ms. Grant, Mr. Adebayo. Well done. I couldn't have asked for anything better."

"Thank you, Ma'am," David answered for us all.

"I see that Yin Li survived the Red Door. Excellent. I know that she will be a great help to us once she completes her training at the Forge," Colonel Nash said.

"Her abilities saved our lives more than once. I personally owe her a debt of gratitude," David said.

"Yes, I've even heard that many of the Families are competing to sponsor her during training. Even your brother has gotten into the act, Agent Ross. He's made one of the largest bids I've ever seen for a recruit," Colonel Nash said.

"Nicholas," I said with a scowl on my face. I couldn't forget how I'd been "sponsored" by him during my nine months at the Blackstone Forge. Something about Nicholas's smug attitude and sense of superiority just set my teeth on edge.

Colonel Nash smiled and leaned back in her chair.

I frowned. I could tell something was up. Colonel Nash looked like a cat that was about to swallow the canary. I could tell she knew something I didn't.

"What? What is it?" I asked her.

"Oh, nothing. Agent Ross, if you would," Colonel Nash said with a wave of her hand.

David turned to me and Thomas, " As a reward for your bravery in defeating a Grimm Lord, rescuing Yin Li, and freeing the Yeti. Nicholas and my father have invited you and Adebayo to spend a week with me resting and recuperating on Calypso - our Family's Private Island Resort," David said.

What?! A week stuck on some damn island with Nicholas Ross and Michael Ross. I didn't care if David was going to be there. I'd rather rot in the coldest darkest realm of Hell then spend time on their resort. I didn't care how swanky or fancy it was.

I crossed my arms in front of my chest and looked away from David and Colonel Nash.

"Look, You know how I feel about your father, David. He isn't exactly high up there on my hit parade. I'd rather slide down a rusty razor blade into a pool of rubbing alcohol then spend time with him," I said with a huff.

"Bloody Hell, Eliza, do you know how famous the Ross Family Resort is? It's on this huge island in the South Pacific and the only place more majestic is the Garden of Eden," Thomas said.

"It's true. My father is very proud of Calypso. He has spared no expense in making it into one of the most beautiful places in the Galaxy," David said.

The most beautiful place in the Galaxy? I didn't know about that. It would be hard to top the majesty that was the Dra Khanian Homeworld of Azor. I remembered my trip there on Joseph and I don't think anyplace in the galaxy could top it.

I turned to Colonel Nash.

"Ma'am, Do I have to do this? Can't I just go home to my apartment in Brooklyn for a week?"