Chapter One:The River's Edge

Jughead's voiceover
Our story is about a town.A small town.And the people who live in the town.From a distance,it presents itself like so many other small towns all over the world.Safe.Decent.Innocent.Get closer, though and you start seeing the shadows underneath.The name of our town is Riverdale.
In the streets
Jason drives Cheryl's car

Jughead's voiceover
And our story begins,I guess,with what the Blossom twins did this summer.
At Sweetwood River
Jason and Cheryl gets out
Jughead's voiceover
On the Fourth of July,just after dawn,Jason and Cheryl Blossom drove out to Sweetwater River for an early morning boat ride.
At Sweetwood River
Cheryl says to Jason "Are you scared,Jason?"
Jason nods and Jason smiles and Cheryl and Jason having a boat ride
THUNDER CRASHING
Jughead's voiceover
The next thing we know happened for sure is that Dilton Doiley,who was leading Riverdale's Boy Scout Troop on a bird watching expedition, came upon Cheryl by the river's edge.
Cheryl sitting on the river's edge
Cheryl says to Dilton "Jason..."
Jughead's voiceover
Riverdale Police dragged Sweetwater River for Jason's body,but never found it.
Alice and Hal on the river bank and Hal has his hand in his pocket and Alice crossing her arms
Alice says to Hal "If he is dead,Hal,I hope in those last moments he suffered.May Jason Blossom burn in hell."
Jughead's voiceover
So a week later...the Blossom family buried an empty casket...and Jason's death was ruled an accident,as the story that Cheryl told made the rounds.That Cheryl dropped a glove in the water, and Jason reached down to get it.And accidentally tipped the boat.And panicked.And drowned.As for us,we were still talking about the July Fourth tragedy......on the last day of summer vacation,when a new mystery rolled into town.
At Pembroke
Taxi drives towards Pembroke and Veronica and Hermione heads out of the taxi
Hermione says to Veronica "Now brace yourself. The apartment's small,a pied-a-terre,but quality, always." Veronica says to Hermione "Quality, always." Hermione says to Veronica "Plus,it's the only piece of property in my name and not your father's."
Veronica and Hermione walks in
In Pembrooke,Hallway
Smithers says to Hermione "Ms.Hermione! Welcome home!"
Hermione says to Smithers Smithers! "Oh,you are a sight for sore eyes."
Smithers says to Hermione "How was the ride?"Hermione says to Smithers "No traffic,thank God.Smithers,I'd like to introduce you to my daughter,Veronica."
Smithers says to Veronica "It's a pleasure,miss."Veronica says to Smithers "Hi."
Smithers says to Hermione "I'll get the bags."Hermione says to Smithers "Would you?"
Smithers says to Hermione "Oh,and would you like some menus,ma'am,so you can order in?" Hermione says to Smithers "Oh,no.I have been craving one of Pop Tate's cheeseburgers since noon.Is his Chock'lit Shoppe still open?"
Veronica says to Hermione and Smithers "What is a Chock'lit Shoppe and why does it sell burgers?"
In Betty's bedroom
Betty doing her makeup and putting her hair into a hair ponytail and Kevin laying on the bed

Kevin says to Betty "Are you excited? Nervous?"Betty says to Kevin "Both.I haven't seen him all summer." Kevin says to Betty "Which is why nerves are acceptable,but we agreed,Betty...It's time.You like him,he likes you."
Betty says to Kevin "Well,then why,Kevin,hasn't he ever said or done anything?"
Kevin says to Betty "Because Archie's swell.But like most millennial straight guys,he needs to be told what he wants.So tell him,finally."
Betty says to Kevin "Well,we'll see.I mean,it depends."
Kevin looking out of the window
Kevin says to Betty "Oh,my God!"
Betty says to Kevin "What?"
Kevin says Betty "Game-changer.Archie got hot! He's got abs now.Six more reasons for you to take that ginger bull by the horns tonight."
In Pops