bring the pain...

A/N

hehe...before you read this...

please don't hate me :)

-saralancesbae

-----

Of course, Peyton had expected to wake up alone the next morning...

It was no different than any other day. Right? But when she opened her eyes, her arms were entwined with those of a slim, graceful woman. The general attending cautiously got up, taking her arms away and quietly throwing on clothes. She slipped out of her room, unbeknownst to the woman still fast asleep between her sheets. But, Peyton should have known that leaving the house wasn't going to be that easy.

"Good morning." Meredith smirked, positioned on the couch so that she was facing the attending's room door. "It sounded like someone had fun last night."

"Yeah, a blast." Peyton deadpanned, taking the coffee mug straight out of the brunette's hand.

"I assume everything went well with Addison last night?" The intern continued to press, still smirking as Peyton shuffled out the front door, not giving Meredith the satisfaction of getting the response.

XXX

The blistering cold rain that poured everywhere didn't bother Peyton...

In reality, she felt...numb to everything in the world. She threw on her scrubs, not even slightly amused by the idea of landing a big surgery today, or any surgery at all. So instead, she stood in front of the nurse's station, filling out a chart she'd left blank so that she could go to Joe's last night.

"Hey." Her perky blonde intern sneaked up behind her, placing a hand on her lower back. Peyton tried not to squirm at the touch, as to not be rude in a growing uncomfortable situation.

"Hi." She responded dryly.

"So I was thinking...maybe we could get reservations for that new 'Island Chateau' place that just opened up and call it a date night."

Peyton let out a dry laugh, trying to find the best way to phrase what she was about to say. "Look, Izzie." The attending took a step closer, just to assure that nobody would overhear their conversation. "Last night was...fun, but I can't do it again."

Izzie's voice shook just slightly as she spoke. "Is it because I'm an intern and you're an attending? Cause I don't care-"

"No, it's, uh, it's not that. I just- I can't get into something new right now."

The intern scoffed. "This is because of Addison."

"Well, I-"

"You better do something then. She's staring right at us." Izzie deadpanned, not looking away from the surgeon's hypnotic eyes.

Peyton broke the intense eye contact to look at the red head who was, very intently and filled with jealousy, staring at her. She didn't look away like Peyton expected her too, but instead added heartbreak into the expression on her face.

XXX

It started to pour when Addison made her way to Seattle Grace...

She tried not to laugh at the cruel irony as the weather matched her mood. Addison was glum. Her head hung low as she walked through the hospital. That was until she saw Peyton and Izzie Stevens talking, faces so close they could feel each other's breath. She was confused at first, but then she saw the look in Izzie's eyes. She recognized it all too well because it was the same look she used to give Peyton. Way back when they were together. Addison was stuck. She physically couldn't move as much as she wanted to. Even when Peyton looked back at her, she couldn't move. Neither of them moved, in fact, until Izzie walked in front of Peyton, making them lose eye contact. It seemed to have snapped Addison out of her temporary transe, finally able to get away, not letting the tears fall until she'd turned the corner and found a safe place in the linen closet.

XXX

THE PREVIOUS NIGHT...

It all went so fast in Peyton's mind. She had the time to get herself out of the situation, but she was stuck. She quite literally couldn't move. And before she knew it, Addison was standing right in front of her. She couldn't avoid it anymore.

"I'll uh, I'll meet you back at the house." Meredith quickly excused herself, rushing away from the two right away, only to face another problem of her own. But, for now, the two still had to talk.

"Derek and I are divorced. Officially. I love you. I chose you. This is me choosing you, Peyton." Peyton stayed silent, trying to buy time for her mind to catch up with the real world. She wanted to pinch herself, just to make sure it wasn't a dream. She remembered how many times she'd dreamed of this, Addison saying those words. Then, she remembered more. She remembered the sleep she'd lost over the woman that was supposed to love her unconditionally. She remembered the exhaustion she'd been feeling. She remembered that the woman she missed so much, the woman she longed to be with broke her heart. Who would she be if she just took Addison back? What would that say about everything she claimed to have stood for? Her final revelation then hit her-Addison Forbes Montgomery was too late.

"If you really loved me, Addison, there wouldn't be a choice to be made. You wouldn't have broken my heart in the first place. So I'm done. No more fighting. Move on. Cause this isn't going to happen. Ever." Peyton pushed past Addison, rushing out of the bar to jump in Meredith's cab the split second before they took off back to the house. And, for the first time since Addison Montgomery had broken her heart, Peyton Scott felt free.

XXX

"Seriously!" Izzie screamed, catching Peyton's attention from the floor of the living room.

"You okay?" Peyton tentatively questioned, removing her wine glass from her lips.

Izzie responded by angrily slamming her pocketbook down on the couch. "Alex is such a dick. I don't know why I went out with him." She took off her shoes and slid down next to where Peyton was sitting.

"Here." The attending handed her wine glass to the blonde.

"Why're you so blue?" Izzie muttered, lips pressed against the wine glass.

"I broke up with Addison. For real this time."

"Oh, I'm sorry." She murmured half-heartedly.

"No, you're not."

"Yeah, no I'm not." Both girls chuckled, only noticing their proximity when they turned their heads. The storm raged outside as Izzie and Peyton leaned in, meeting halfway as the light's turned out. When they turned back on no more than 30 seconds later, the surgeons weren't there. They were lazily stumbling back into Peyton's room.

And once again, Peyton Scott was stuck.