Chapter 1: A Strange Encounter

"Link! Y'all got a minute?" Link wiped the sweat from his brow and glanced up at the sound of his boss's voice.

     He had just finished a long day's worth of work, and the sun was beating down on the Ordonian's skin. He pulled back gently on the reigns of his trusted horse, Epona, and slowed to a stop.

     "The mayor wants to talk with ya," Fado said as he jabbed a thumb over his shoulder in the direction of the gate at the front of the ranch, "Best be on your way now."

     "Mm." Link hummed with a nod in response.

     "Hyah!" Giving a gentle kick at the sides of Epona's body to urge her on, swiftly riding for the nearby home of the Mayor, Bo.

     It took no time at all for the swordsman to reach the sturdy wooden house that was situated nearest to the path that led to the entrance of the ranch. The house was the largest in the village, and it was surrounded with forest and foliage much like the rest of the homes. The trees were magnificent and loomed their giant branches over the roofs of all of them, giving the village a shady and homey feel. 

     The perfect place to retire after an arduous journey that brought Link to almost every nook and cranny across the great Kingdom of Hyrule.

     Expecting to see the Mayor, Link was mildly surprised when he was instead greeted by his only daughter, Ilia.

     "Link!" She called out to him. He hurriedly brought Epona to a stop at the sound of her voice. How could a girl of such small stature have such a large presence?

     The young man blinked at her.

     "Are you looking for my father?" She inquired. Link nodded.

     "Oh, he already headed over to your house." She exclaimed. Link pulled back on Epona's reins, preparing to leave, "Oh! I'll see you later then..." The shy girl's voice faded as she averted her gaze bashfully. Link paused as he studied her.

     Ilia could feel her childhood friend's blue gaze boring into her from high up on his horse, and she let out a nervous laugh.

     "I just... wanted to remind you to go easy on Epona! She's a girl, after all." She spat out, her cheeks pink. Link gave her a friendly smile of understanding and nodded again before he departed with a gentle kick to Epona's side.

     Ilia sighed as she watched him leave.

     Ever since he returned from his mission, he seemed different. Of course he was the same Link she had always known. He smiled with those kind eyes, helping out around the village whenever he was free from his day job with Fado. He took care of those rascals that ran around as if an older brother. But... still. 

     A heavy aura of loneliness followed the swordsman everywhere. She could sense that Link had lost something when he returned to the village one day, after receiving his honors in Castle Town from Princess Zelda.

     He was always reserved, she knew that. But ever since he retired, he has said little.

     She let out a dejected sigh and kicked at the dirt with her sandals.

     She missed his voice dearly.

     The girl lifted her gaze to the sky, noting the pink hues that swirled near the horizon line as the sun prepared to set.

_____________________________

     Link noticed upon approaching his house, which was situated high up in a great tree, that the mayor had indeed arrived before him. The stout man stood near the wooden ladder that led up to his porch, throwing the swordsman a friendly wave in greeting as he drew closer.