Chapter 4: Temptations

The sound of hooves beating on the stone streets of Castle Town sounded in Link's ears as he silently watched as a carriage drew closer to the gates before the castle. The simple hooded carriage was being drawn by two large horses, undoubtedly both of Fado's from Ordon Ranch. The swordsman had a stiff demeanor as he stood next to the princess, anticipating the moment his childhood friend greeted him.

Link went over the events of the night before in his mind. He couldn't remember every exact detail, but he knew that he had been drinking with the prince. The hero stole a quick glance at Azrael, who stood on the other side of Zelda, staring ahead with an unreadable expression on his face. The Hylian prince seemed to sense Link's eyes lingering, and the Ordonian man snapped his head quickly to face ahead, his expression blank albeit a light rouge tinge to his cheeks.

Just what happened? What had they talked about? The swordsman was frustrated with himself that he couldn't see all the blurry details clearly in his mind.

The carriage pulled up closer, and the horses both came to a stop, neighing restlessly. The immediate area had been blocked off by armed guards, but the mere sound of the celebrations in the city streets agitated the horses.

Link kept his eyes glued onto the carriage as he watched as the young woman stepped out carefully.

Ilia scanned the group in front of her carefully before emerald eyes fell onto the sight of Link. Her pretty face lit up and she waved with a large smile.

"Link!" She called out. The hero smiled and waved back.

Ilia stopped to comfort the horses, gently petting their manes before she joined the group in front of the gates. She gave a delicate curtsy in greeting before Zelda and Azrael. Zelda smiled at this and took the Ordonian girl's hand in her own.

"Ilia, it is so good to finally meet you. I've heard much about you and your efforts to help the Zora prince. Link has told me so much about you."

Ilia blushed lightly at the last sentence and looked over to Link.

"Oh, has he?"

Link chuckled nervously and avoided Ilia's eyes.

"Of course! The two of you are the best of friends." Zelda said with a smile. She motioned for the group to follow her into the courtyard.

The knights nodded at this, and began unloading Ilia's luggage from the carriage. Link followed Zelda and Ilia, who continued speaking as they walked through the gardens. The prince joined Link's side, and the two men followed closely behind the women. Azrael leaned closer to Link and spoke quietly into his ear.

"Girlfriend?" He murmured, startling Link.

The hero blinked and he looked over at the other man. A short awkward silence fell over the pair, the sound of the two women conversing just ahead of them occupying the silence.

"... no." He whispered back. Azrael hummed at this and said nothing more.

Link was relieved that the prince left that topic alone. He found it incredibly embarrassing to discuss with someone as... experienced as Azrael seemed to be.

Suddenly, the hero's mind took a strange turn, and he began to imagine what a relationship with the prince would even look like. A man like that had to have much experience with women of all types.

He remembered the noble ladies from the breakfast who were throwing themselves at Azrael. It would probably be a woman like that who would capture the royal's eye. Pretty and innocent, petite with a small face. Wearing a gown decorated in lace and frills, stars in her large doe eyes. He would probably court her in the way that royals do; a way that Link couldn't possibly understand. Walks through the gardens, tea dates, dancing at balls, and the like.