One

"Here we are," Austin pulled up to a white town house. "This is your home. I have a house down the street."

I nodded, taking a deep breath. Stepping out of the car, I felt like everything was different, but everything was basically the same, just one seemingly small detail was missing.

"Come on," Austin walked up to the house and I timidly followed. He opened the front door.

The house was nice, new, and sheek. The living room was to my right, a small office and library to my left. Behind the office was the kitchen and across the hall to the kitchen was a dining room. Up the stairs was three bedrooms and two baths.

"Here's the master," Austin opened the last door on the second floor. The carpet was white with light gray walls. There was a bed with a white comforter, a gray dresser, and white desk. "So as you can see, it's got plenty of space, a great starter home."

I nodded. "Thank you, Austin, for everything."

He smiled at me. "It's nothing, just my job. But I'm happy to help. Relax, get unpacked, I'll make dinner, then I'll head on home."

I nodded. "Alright."

I watched as Austin walked out of my room, leaving me alone. I locked the door and walked into the master bath. I turned on the shower and stepped in, letting the hot water fall over my shoulders, washing away everything.

. . .

"Is this your first time working with someone fresh from the simulation?" I asked as dinner.

"Yeah. I've studied other people who have done this, making sure I knew the do's and don't's. But I'm not nervous."

"It is pretty cool, how they're able to make the simulation seem so realistic... It's... different. Have you ever watched one?"

"I've watched a few. They're all pretty different though. I think it'd be interesting to be in a sim, especially for such a long time. Years and years. I think it's brave of those who go into it, knowing that might be the rest of their life."

I shrugged. "I guess it wasn't that brave for me. My mom was doing it, so I just went along with it. Once I was in there, it felt real. I don't know, it's hard to describe."

"Regardless, it was pretty cool of you." Austin stood up. "Are you done?"

I nodded and he took my plate to the sink, washing it and putting it away. "Okay, well, if you need anything, I'm at 305. Just come over, and my number's on the fridge. Just call. See you tomorrow,"

"See you,"

I watched as Austin let himself out of the house. I stood up and locked the door behind him, retiring to my bedroom early. I had a long day, and now the thought of sleep seemed so welcoming.

. . .

In the morning, I woke up and had a breakfast of cereal. I kept glancing down at my wrist, expecting to see an eagle—or at least a bear—but saw nothing but blank skin. It threw me off.

Austin knocked at the door around eight thirty. I let him in, suddenly aware that I was still in yesterday's clothes. "Just, wait here, I'm going to gt dressed."

I jogged upstairs and into my room. My dresser was fully stocked with plain clothes. Plain blacks shorts and plain t-shirts. I grabbed a pair of shorts and pulled on a white t-shirt. I pulled on a pair of socks and my only pair of tennis shoes. I brushed through my long and thick hair, giving up on leaving it down, and pulled it into a pony tail.

Back downstairs, Austin was smiling at me. "So, what do you want to do today?" He asked.

"I need a hair cut. I haven't had one since I went into the sim." I remember that day, now, I didn't before. We had to cut our hair into a buzz cut. I remember I wasn't happy about it, but it was a necessity. I'm now happy I did, after countless years without a hair cut, my hair is long and a mess. "And new clothes."

"Alright. Want to go now?"

I nodded. Austin led me out to his car and he drove me to a salon. Matt, my hairdresser, washed my hair and started to cut. He gave me a ton of layers and lightened up my head a lot. Afterwards I thanked him and gave him a generous tip for dealing with my mess of hair.

Austin then drove to a mall. We stopped in each store a I bought a bit from each place.

Finally, we stopped for lunch as a deli. Sitting down outside, I leaned back in my chair, a slight breeze blowing on my face. "Thank you,"

"No problem."

"I really mean it, Austin, I know this is a lot for one person to put up with. Two hours at the salon, three at the mall... It's really nice of you."

"It's fine, really. Is there anything else you'd like to do today?"

"I want to buy a car. You'll only be there for me for a few weeks, or until I adjust. I'll need my own car once you're gone."

"Of course. What type do you want?"

I shrugged. "Something small. Not a Jeep."

Austin smiled. "Alright, sounds reasonable."

"Can I see your wrist?" I asked, feeling stupid for asking a question that plagued my old life.

"Sure," Austin held out his wrist, palm up.

I studied where his Mark would have been, curious to know what I would be if it was there. After a bit, I let go of his wrist. "It's so weird. You wouldn't think something as small as a tattoo would be that big in your life, but now that it's gone..." I felt my wrist, knowing what should be there.

"What was yours?"

"It was a bear... then it changed to an eagle... And I feel incomplete without it. I feel like something is missing."

"You'll adjust."

"Right."

Of course I will. I'll have to.