31: Secrets

Dabi's arms were comforting and warm in the way that you craved them to be, but the more you sank into that feeling, the more you felt like you were burning instead.

Your mind was a storm of spiraling thoughts, and you felt like the porcelain mask holding all of your emotions at bay was beginning to crack. Every altercation you shared with Dabi in recent memory was far from... amicable. And then you'd been taken. And he came for you.

And you were so fucking happy that he did. But it didn't heal the wound in your chest that had been festering for so long already. Didn't change how you had admitted to harbouring feelings for the first time in your entire life only to be so ruthlessly shot down. And the worst part of all was that you knew deep down he was lying, and you just weren't enough to make a villain speak the truth.

But then again, who were you to demand the truth, when you could not — or would not — offer it in return.

"You're being very... quiet."

It was true. You'd barely said a word since he carried you from that place and warped you both back to the front of your headquarters.

"I... don't have anything to say."

Dabi's arms tightened around you ever-so-slightly. "Then fight with me instead."

The words speared through you, pricking tears in your eyes. What is with all the crying today? You blinked them away. "I don't have any fight left in me."

He was looking at you then. Those captivating blue eyes were pained despite the playful smirk he pasted on his lips. "You and I both know that isn't true."

You smiled softly, but like his, it didn't quite reach your eyes. "Is that what you want? You want me to fight with you?"

The corner of his mouth picked up, this time more genuine. "Isn't that what we do?"

You rolled your eyes, but the smile didn't leave you. "You lost that privilege when you decided to be an asshole."

His laugh skittered over you. "I've always been an asshole."

"More of an asshole, then."

Dabi carried you through the building, the chatter of people an accompaniment to your conversation. But like always, you couldn't find it within you to care about anything but him.

"So you're not going to talk to me anymore?"

He didn't attempt to hide the amusement in his voice at the likely thought of how far in vain your attempts to avoid him would end up being.

You merely sighed. "It would be the least you deserve."

Dabi chuckled. "Fine then, princess." His gaze swept over you. "I'll be the one to do the talking. But first, let's get you taken care of."

The promise in his words constricted that sorry organ in your chest you were starting to wish you could remove. He deposited you in the infirmary, grunting an order at the poor doctor who scrambled to attention at his tone. You could only roll your eyes and wait as you were poked and prodded, cleaned, and bandaged while Dabi watched on from the corner of the room.

You hissed in pain as the bite wound on your calf was tended to.

"Careful."

The warning came in the form of a growl from the insufferable villain lurking in the corner of the room. You glared at Dabi, turning your attention to the physician whose eyes were as wide as saucers. "Ignore him. He was just leaving."

Dabi's brows quirked up, a smirk on his two-tone lips. "Was I?"

"Yes, you were." You flicked your wrist, shooing him. "Go and occupy yourself for fifteen minutes. I'll still be here when you return."