02

I rubbed my eyes under my glasses and then stuffed my school clothes into the locker

I rubbed my eyes under my glasses and then stuffed my school clothes into the locker. I looked up, noticing something. Rebekah who was next to me tugging her shirt down and pulling her hair out from under the shirt. She has been a little quiet, which is abnormal for her, especially around me or Erika. She did look like she was in deep thought though. 

"What the hell?" Rebekah whispered. Rebekah is one of my closest friends, one of my best friends, someone who I consider as my sister, not by blood but by bond. We both saw a black strip of cardstock slid under the spare clothes I always keep inside my locker. I contemplated and slowly pulled it out from the bottom of the clothes. 

Admit One
Victoria Bloom
L-347

My heart thudded. I could feel my heart falling downwards, falling down into an endless depth, recognizing the black paper with the ornate silver border and the serial number identifying every ticket sold. It was an annual event. It was—

"Are you kidding me?" I blurted out. Rebekah snatched the ticket from my hand and stared at it. "An invitation from a senior?" I opened my mouth to speak, but no words came out. The senior lock-in was held every October, and it was tonight. After the basketball game.

Non seniors could attend only if they secured an invitation from the graduating class, and even then, the seniors were only allowed to invite one person each. One senior used their only pass to invite me? 

It had to be a mistake.

"Take it," I told her. There was no way I was going. And I have a really strong guess on who placed this ticket here. 

She held it for a moment and then sighed, handing it back to me. "That sounds like a generous offer, but the thing is that I had gotten the ticket too. I found it, today morning, inside my locker, sticking out in between my books."

She took hers out from her uniform skirt, showing the black paper that has the exact same ornate silver border with the assigned serial number. 

Admit One
Rebekah Watson
L-346

I crumpled it in my fist, about to toss it onto the floor of my locker, but Rebekah plucked it out of my hand and stuck it inside my jacket, slipping it in between two buttons. 

"Line up!" our director called. But I was swatting Rebekah's hand away. "Stop, dammit," I whispered out. "I'm not going." 

"If I'm going, so are you babes." She winked at me. But then she dropped her voice to a whisper. "I mean, what's to worry about? It's not like we're really locked in with them." 

Them. To anyone else hearing, they would've thought she meant the seniors. But when she said it, the both of us fully know, them, is referring to only four of the seniors. 

I side-eyed her- knowing full well that she has her hands full with one of the Four Horsemen -and pulled out my flute. 

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───