Chapter 24

''What's going on here?''
The voice of Kang Pil-Ho startled everyone and Ji-Hyuk fast hid the flash drive in Je-Yi's pocket of her jacket together with Sang-Kyun's note. Je-Yi's insides started screaming, why was he here again? Do Jin-Sook took a step to the front, trying to cover Je-Yi and Ji-Hyuk somehow but Pil-Ho caught on already. He knew that something was fishy about their behavior.
''We'll check that later.''
Ji-Hyuk's voice and his hand on her back calmed her down immediately, he must have seen how worked up she was after Kang Pil-Ho showed up like that. It took all her willpower to not just throw him out of here. He walked over to Pil-Ho with a stern expression.
''Sir, is there a reason for you to be here?''
Je-Yi took a deep breath to calm herself down, she was amazed by Ji-Hyuk's nature again, how he was still able to be that respectful towards Pil-Ho although they knew now that he had been fooling them this whole time. The betrayal still sat deep within him, she could tell, and yet he was able to ignore all that and still act respectful and professional. He was a true agent through and through.
''I am here to pay my respect.''
''Are you sure, I think you are just here to monitor us.''
''Hey.''
Ji-Hyuk seemed to be a bit taken back when he felt Do Jin-Sook's elbow at his back the moment his words left his mouth. She hadn't been present yesterday when Ji-Hyuk already confronted Pil-Ho about his betrayal although he didn't actually tell him everything he wanted due to respect towards Sang-Kyun and also towards Je-Yi. A huge discussion or even a physical battle wasn't appropriate at a funeral. But Pil-Ho was already well aware of the fact that they all knew that he was working with Sangmuheo and he was probably only here to keep an eye on them.
''You should leave.''
When Je-Yi started to talk she was surprised herself by how strong her voice came out. She felt how her whole body was shaking only by his presence here in this room and yet she was able to contain her inner struggles. She grinded her teeth together so hard she could practically feel her jar breaking but she couldn't give in to her anger just yet. When she walked up to Pil-Ho it seemed like he was actually a bit nervous about her approach.
''Please.''
It was the first time she met his eyes after his appearance here yesterday, she tried to avoid him the whole day but enough was enough. He had to leave right now.
''Leave.''
Maybe it was her firm voice or her hurtful expression that stirred something inside of Pil-Ho but he left without another comment. At least the funeral room, he simply waited on the floor, still being able to see what they were up to. Je-Yi couldn't believe that he was still going on about that and simply wait the whole day on the floor just to see what they were doing. Couldn't he give them a break just for a few days, until the funeral was over at least? Was that too much to ask for?
The day went by just like that. Je-Yi had no chance to hand over the flash drive to Jin-Sook or Ji-Hyuk because of Pil-Ho who was watching their every move. Even when she went over to the restroom he started following her it was creeping her out. She hoped that some hospital staff would recognize his strange behavior and expel him from the funeral hall but no one did.
With a sigh she looked at herself in the mirror on the restroom. She could understand why Ji-Hyuk consistently looked worried at her, she was indeed looking like a zombie. Her eyes were bloodshot from all her crying and even though she had been sleeping tonight she still felt drained and exhausted. Her cheeks sunk in a bit just from not eating properly for one day. But when she thought about it she didn't actually eat properly for a longer time now but Ji-Hyuk was the same. So much happened again they were barely able to take proper care of their bodies and minds. The cold water she splashed into her face felt relieving somehow, the coldness felt soft and comforting so she splashed some more into her face. Her hand reached into her pocket and she took the small note out that Sang-Kyun dropped into the mailbox together with the flash drive. The note was by now a bit crumpled from being in her pocket the whole time. She just wished she had something else left of him than these very sad last words of his. She couldn't even remember the last time they talked face to face but she had the vague memory that it was the one morning at her flat where she shook him off because she and Ji-Hyuk were investigating something. After that she only talked with him once over the phone to explain about her situation and when he said that they should meet up at that location where he eventually died. She never had been able to actually tell him just how much he meant to her. She bet he knew but still... not being able to say it out aloud was different it was filling her with regret. She wanted him to have a long and beautiful life, he should have had lots of fun, grow up and work, meet some nice girl and build a family but all that was taken now from him.
''Yoo Je-Yi?''
Startled by Jin-Sook's voice Je-Yi turned around wiping her face fast, it wasn't only wet from the water anymore. When she looked up from the ground she only saw a white napkin in front of her. Jin-Sook was holding it up for her to use and Je-Yi took it with a small sniffle.
''Thanks.''
''Are you hiding in here?''
''Director Kang seems to follow me everywhere.''
''He's not outside anymore. He went back to funeral of Soo-Hyun.''
Something started to feel heavy inside of her again. A weight came back pressing onto her body with an incredible force she barely could keep herself up. The mentioning of Soo-Hyun brought back memories of her death, those moments that simply passed by so fast. The way she died in her arms, those bloody memories were still haunting her. She should go over there and also say goodbye to her. But she had no idea if the news of her involvement already died down by the people who attended the funeral. It probably would be a better idea to simply go to the cemetery after she was buried.
Je-Yi took the flash drive out and handed it to Jin-Sook.
''What are you-''
''We can't wait until the funeral is over, go and check its contents with Ji-Hyuk.''
''But you should also see it.''