001. Pilot

ONE YEAR AGO

The music was blasting throughout the barn from the speakers. Giggles and laughter escaped all five girls as they drank the night away. Lightning cracked outside, but the music drowned it out for the most part.

"God, this tastes awful." Emily muttered, handing the plastic red cup to Spencer. The girls giggled as Spencer took a sip. But all of a sudden, the music stopped and all of the lights switched off.

"Woah, what happened?" Hanna asked. The five girls stood from their various chairs and couches to huddle together.

"It must be the storm." Spencer insisted, though she didn't sound confident about it.

"Somethings out there." Rachel said as she grabbed a flashlight and shined it towards the barn doors.

"Guys..." Hanna muttered nervously, staying close to Aria.

There was a sudden crash and Rachel gasped and jumped back. The girls did something similar. They crept towards the doors, huddled together as if they were huddling for warmth.

All of a sudden, Alison jumped out in front of them. "Gotcha!" Alison shouted, laughing at the scared girls.

"That's so not funny, Alison!" Spencer complained. Rachel switched off her flashlight, knowing there was nothing left to be afraid of.

"I thought it was hilarious, girls." Alison said as they all sat back down. Rachel noticed the red mark was still on her cheek, an attempt was made to cover it up with makeup, but Rachel could see. She didn't feel bad.

"Ali, did you download the new Beyoncé?" Hanna asked the blonde.

"Not yet." Alison replied, "I've been meaning to."

"I'm loving her new video!" Emily commented, her knees tucked to her chin.

"Maybe a little too much, Em." Alison said towards the girl. Rachel looked over at Alison with a slightly confused look, but didn't bother to ask.

"Your turn!" Alison to Aria, handing her the cup of alcohol. Aria put the cup to her lips and began to quickly drink.

"Careful, Aria. Take too much and you'll tell us all your secrets." Spencer joked as she chugged.

"Friends share secrets. That's what keeps us close." Alison said with a smile.

"Drink up." Alison told Aria, "Oh, you haven't drank yet, Rachel!"

Rachel laughed nervously. "I really don't want any." She said, "Remember the last time I drank?"

Alison thought for a moment. "Right. We wouldn't want you to hurt yourself. Or anyone else." She replied, "I'll get you some fruit punch, not to worry, my darling."

Hurt someone else? Rachel could understand herself, but who else would she hurt? A horrible feeling crept up inside of her; maybe Alison knew.

But how could she possibly have known? Rachel had done everything to hide it from everyone. She almost laughed. Alison knew everyone's secrets; it shouldn't have been a surprise.

‧₊˚✧ ୨♡୧✧˚₊‧

Without even realizing it, five, maybe four, of the six girls had fallen asleep. The barn grew cold from the night air, making Rachel shiver in her slumber.

Rachel wasn't dreaming of anything in particular. A few pieces of a dream stayed fresh in her mind until they were whisked away like leaves in the wind.

"Rach, Hanna, wake up." Aria whispered, shaking Rachel awake.

"Where's Ali and Spencer?" Hanna mumbled as she sat up.