chapter eight

You quickly shook Shidou off your shoulder and dusted off your dress shirt just to be petty.

"You? Plans? Does the Earth still revolve around the sun?" he remarked, dumbfounded.

The two of you had fallen out of step with the rest of the team; with their eyes facing forward, they didn't witness the pull on Shidou's tie that caused him to choke momentarily.

"Yeah, actually. Don't you have an appointment at the salon to fuck up your hair more?" The snark was thrown over your shoulder, already having turned down the adjacent block.

His scoff could be heard behind you. "That's not even the way to your house!"

"Well, apparently, I'm actively throwing off a stalker!"

Your backpack crashed against the corner next to your desk following your haphazard toss. You collapsed into your throne (stained desk chair) and released a sigh. After the click of a few buttons, your pc lights began to assault your eyes with their familiar glow. You dug into your pocket.

me |
hi practice val? |

Partially literate and the perfect level of casual for a man you've known in reality for all of 48 hours. It's just your charm.

You dropped your phone down to your desk, relaxing back into your chair and deciding to wait for the informant buzz of a text message that was sure to shortly occur.

Shortly.

Surely.

...

It had been seven minutes and your patience has run thin. If you weren't so irritated you'd pause to congratulate yourself on your maturity.

We did say six, right?

You tried to recall the brief text string the two of you had shared earlier in the morning, setting up the occasion. It had come to you on the way to school that it would probably be beneficial for the two of you to polish up your teamwork in the couple months you had for preparation.

It was definitely six.

Your brows knitted together at the odd empty feeling lowering itself through your rib cage. An unwilling frown even weighed down the corners of your lips.

You hadn't realized how much you'd actually been looking forward to this all day. And he bailed.

Maybe he reconsidered after some sleep. Maybe I was too awkward yesterday. It felt natural toward the end, but maybe it was just in my head.

You shook your head quickly.

Let's be reasonable and not pathetically insecure.

Why should it really matter all that much anyway? I mean...you needed a competition partner but he's just some guy I hung out with once. Plus, when you consider the possibilities that don't involve the world revolving around you, it's likely he probably got busy.

So, you shrugged it off and took your phone and sadly abused backpack over to your bed.

After cataloging and getting out everything you needed to work on for the night, you scrolled through your contacts; your eyes searched for your usual study buddies.