ch.1 | a warm welcome (not)

art by : cotossum on instagram

Not-So Happy Campers: Part One

───────── ─────────

In all honesty, you thought that your best friend, Vincent, was joking around with you when he wanted you to audition with him for some reality competition show. You did it, obviously, but you seriously didn't expect for your very unserious and very unprofessional videos to actually get accepted.

Then, all of a sudden, there you were, stuck on a boat in the middle of Lake Wawanakwa after spending an hour or two going over your contracts and signing away your freedom.

It felt like a damn fever dream.

"I hate you so much right now."

Vincent coolly leaned against the railing of the boat and slightly tilted his head with a lazy smirk. "Don't worry, I'll get over it."

You've been best friends with him for practically your entire life, but you were seriously questioning whether or not to throw him overboard at that moment.

With a roll of your eyes, you diverted your attention towards the lake. The calming breeze and the gentle waves helped soothe your nerves a tinge, but the grueling reality spiked your anxiousness when you saw the island gradually coming into view.

"What if we just get murdered?"

Vincent grinned. "Nah, won't happen," he replied before humming in thought for a second. "Well, I mean... if it does, you'll be the only one to die because I'll use you as a shield."

"Hey. Fuck you."

"Now there's something that'll never happen."

You groaned and mentally prayed to Creator to give you an opening so you could throw him off of the damn boat, but his remarks did help lighten your nervousness by replacing it with annoyance, so you had to give him a little credit.

As the island was coming closer into view, you could definitely begin to see that it was not the resort that was promised on the website. Instead, you saw cabins and a fire pit with tree stumps and a pitiful looking beach.

Vincent nudged you. "Do you remember that camp we went to when we were like eight? This reminds me of it."

"Oh, yeah, I remember," you nodded. "I also remember you getting sent home because you had lice."