ch.2 | home sweet... ew

[Author's Note] — Both MC and Vincent are of Indigenous/Aboriginal, so it sort of goes without saying that they could speak their language. There'll be some moments in this book where they speak to each other in their language.
But all Native tribes don't share one language and since this is a reader insert, I won't be using my own.
So, to keep it simple, underlined italics = their language.

───────── ─────────

art by : cotossum on instagram

Not-So Happy Campers: Part One

───────── ─────────

Chris went on to explain basically what the general idea of the competition was. For six weeks, you and everyone else will live on the island and compete against the opposite team in camp-based challenges. The losing team will be forced to eliminate someone off of the island while, every once in awhile, the winning team will receive some sort of reward.

Then, he introduced the confessional. It was an old fashioned outhouse that, just from the exterior, looked absolutely appalling. That was where you could voice your thoughts to the viewers without it being heard by the other competitors.

Though, you doubted that your confessions wouldn't be overheard by someone. It didn't look very private.

───────── ─────────

CONFESSIONAL: [NAME]

As you expected, it was straight up disgusting. A swarm of flies buzzed around due to the rancid smell that came from the toilet. There were a few carvings on the wooden wall that was gradually decaying along with stale toilet paper. Finally, a camera was shoddily taped to the wall, pointing in your direction.

"When I go to powwows, I refuse to use the port-a-potties because they're disgusting..." you thought for a moment, "also because shit-kids — and Vincent — would try to tip them over while I'm using them... But this, compared to those, is just next level."

───────── ─────────

After going over the core basics, Chris informed everyone to gather their luggage from the dock so he could show you all your accommodations for the next six weeks — "Or until you get voted out," he chuckled with a small shrug. "Who knows? You might not even make it twenty-four hours here."

It took a little while, but you soon felt the uncomfortable atmosphere turn into something more pleasant. On the way to the docks, everyone struck up some sort of conversation. It got a little lively and you began to hear names being passed around.