Thanks, I didnt want to come

He wasn't here.

She sent a letter with a swatch of fabric the day after the Empress' tea so he could match. She went to dress fittings. She made social appearances and smiled at things that weren't worth it, looked after the winery, and fell into bed exhausted.

She even managed to squeeze in a social visit with Isadora and manage to get a small confession that she was seeing someone. Damn her practical ways!

All of that effort, and he didn't even bother to come to his own family ball!

The vultures were circling.

Katherine's gown was within the edge of current fashion, and yet people stared. It was without a bustle, but still fanned into a wide bottom like a bell. Perfectly fashionable.

The layers of fabric were sheer, making the dress weigh and feel like nothing. The bottom of the dress was a soft butter yellow that gradually faded into a summer green at the waistline. The same green was carried through the top of the dress. It was masterfully dyed. But an ombré coloring was an extension of the current trend: using two complimentary colors of fabric in the layers of a dress.

What was a show stopper were the appliquéd green silk butterflies and leaves sewn into the layers, as if she was smuggling a garden.

Katherine loved it. It was the first ball gown she had which didn't make her feel stuffy and crushed. She tilted her chin up, daring the girls on the sidelines to step up and ruin this for her.

That what they were: girls. They picked at each other behind their backs and tittered over whether someone's hand touched a bare shoulder. They swooped in on a lone animal, hoping to rip it to shreds.

Katherine was playing with fire, interested in a man well a over her station. Of course, she could always contend with the demon and its curse if marriage didn't work. Again.

The girls were growing bored of picking at each other and started to circle Katherine's way. Emily wasn't among them - she was too busy kowtowing to Duchess Albrecht.

The flock was led by her Emily's cronies, Beatrice and Winnifred.

Did she call them cronies? She meant cousins.

"The old maid has arrived," the blonde one announced.

"I thought Marianne promised she wouldn't be here," the other one whispered too loud. Katherine knew this was how the game was played. Petty cat fights and backhanded comments.

It was exhausting and pointless. She had a marriage to arrange (or a curse to break), and a civil war to survive.

"Who did you bribe to get your name on the list?" the blonde one interrogated. "Probably tipped wine to a few servants, since we know you don't actually have money."

Katherine waited for a high five between them, given their smug looks, but it never came. She sighed, her patience worn thin.

"Nothing to say for yourself?" The pack of girls exchanged looks. They could taste the win.

But Katherine wasn't going to run this time. Emily got in a lucky sucker punch the first ball pre-season. These girls had no idea what weapons could actually damage her. This wasn't it. Age? Being shunned by society? Those were their fears.

Katherine drew in a breath, standing up straight. She stared them down, like a predator would to it's prey. She beckoned with one hand. Come at me.

"Ok, let's have it."

They went from smug to confused.

"Any more insults you want to try out? Anyone else want to question why I'm here? I don't have time to waste in this childish behaviour, so let's get it over with."

They glanced quickly at each other and realized none of them were capable of leading the brigade when the intended victim invited the attack. It wasn't as fun if she wasn't hurt.

"No one? Well then. Edgar invited me. I came at his request, and since he's not here, I shall excuse myself. Have a nice night, I hope all of your future husbands are terribly boring people."

She smiled a giant, fake smile powered by her rage so when people looked on they might guess the parting was amicable. Katherine kept that smile plastered in place as she nodded at familiar faces on the way to the door.

What an abominable waste of time. The only good thing to come from tonight was this dress, which she was keeping forever.

She paused in the doorway. Katherine supposed she should say goodbye to the hostess. She looked back into the room, easily spotting Duchess Albrecht in a sunset pink gown with yellow accents. Emily complimented her in a soft purple dress, like they planned to be the sky.

Marianne Albrecht looked toward the door and caught Katherine framed in it. She grinned, triumphant. The Duchess didn't need to lift a finger, and she was going to be rid of Katherine Sachar.

Katherine raised a hand to wave goodbye, her stupid fake smile still set in place. This is close enough, she thought, mentally checking her box for social niceties.

Then she saw him. When she turned down the hall away from the banquet room, he was there. Edgar stood in the center of the hall, out of breath and agitated. He froze when he saw her.

If Katherine wasn't trying so hard to stay mad at him, she might have paused to appreciate the look on his face as he drank her in. Two steps toward her, his face was already melting into a picture of regret.

"Oh Gods, Katherine, I'm so sorry I wasn't here to greet you." His arms came around her and she didn't have the heart to resist. She had a close up view of his pocket square, which was summer green and folded to look like a butterfly at rest.

Edgar stepped back, holding her at arm's length. "I went to the palace to pick up the Empress, but something happened off Main Street and I ended up stuck there as they sorted it out." He paused, taking in the fact that they were standing alone in the hallway. "Are you leaving?"

Katherine gently, reluctantly, removed his hand from her arm. "I was," she said. She meant to. Now that he was standing here, looking like a sad puppy, it was harder to remember why.

"The Empress decided to return home. She wanted to be here to see you, I swear it, but it was too dangerous."

"Damn democrats, can't be bothered to wait until Act 2," Katherine muttered.

Edgar paused, but couldn't hold back his question. "You know about the Democrats?"

Ah, that was my outside voice. No use denying it, I suppose. "Unfortunately. I've heard the rumors."

"They've started small riots." He shook his head and shoved one hand in a pocket. "I'm sorry. It's been causing problems and I haven't been around at all this week." He turned his sad puppy dog eyes her way again. "Forgive me?"

Edgar offered his free hand, as if inviting her to dance.

This is the stupidest I've ever been in all my lives, Katherine thought.

She didn't hesitate to take his hand. She didn't think about why she left. Katherine's reason for attending had arrived, and that was all that mattered.