Chapter 5

"Please help us. Why won't you help us?"

"We're just kids, you know?"

"What did we do to deserve this?"

Kids shouted everywhere. It didn't matter where Bakugo looked. They were there.

Covered in blood. Missing limbs.

He swears he could still smell the rotten flesh. He could smell the blood.

His heart thumped in his ears as he ran through the burning building, dodging large debris flying around the hallway. It was the same two kids. Every time he got near them, they were gone again.

They screamed from another direction, and he ran there. When he got through the cloud of smoke, they were gone again.

Blood covered every surface as the walls began falling brick by brick.

"Where are you?" Bakugo yelled out, desperation lacing his voice. "Tell me where you are. I can't help you if I can't get to you!"

"We're here!" One voice yelled from behind him before a scream came from the right of him.

When he turned to the right, a little boy was standing before him, missing an arm and covered in blood.

"Why didn't you help me?"

Bakugo awoke, panting and drenched in sweat. Tears rolled down his face as his quirk popped against his legs. He looked around the room to ground himself and come back to reality before ripping his palms away and hurrying away from the fireplace. His clothing came off as he scooted back and attempted to cool off. When he said he would be quiet, he wasn't thinking about the nightmares and night terrors that kept him up all night.

That was another reason he wanted to sleep during the day. He wouldn't be bothering too many people if he woke up screaming in the middle of the day.

Lucky for him, he actually has to be up today. He had to return to his usual alley before the shop owner arrived. If not, he would go without his food and the other things he asked for. He had no idea what time it was, but the sun looked like it was in the middle of the sky. Which meant he shouldn't be too late.

He checked to make sure the fire was completely out before pulling a cleanish t-shirt from his bag. He had to get his clothes washed again soon. He didn't know where any laundry mats were around this side of the city. He only washed his clothes there. He always hung them up to dry wherever he was sleeping. It didn't cost more than five dollars, and he only did it every other week or so. He only showered once a week at a truck stop or public gym if he could get in. Other than that, he wiped himself off every day with a bar of soap and a wet washcloth.

He still brushed his teeth every day, but that was the easiest thing for him to do. And it was enough. He might not always smell the best, but it was already more effort than he cared to put in. He only did it because it slightly helped his mental health, not much, but enough to continue doing it.

When his racing heart had calmed down a bit, he slid the shirt over his head and packed up his bag. The woman on the stairs said his stuff would be safe, but he didn't trust anyone. If they wanted the bread that started to mold last night, they could have it. Other than that, everything came with him.

With his bag packed, a mask on his face, and his hoodie draped over his shoulder, he headed out the door. As usual, the lady was sitting on the stairs with the cardboard in her hand. Just like she did the day before, she asked Bakugo if he would be coming back when he left, to which he nodded his head.