Origins, Unknown Pt. 1

(Y/n)'s POV:-

"Hm.. So this is the place?" I asked in a rather unsettling manner.

"Yes, I suppose it is. Looks.. weird." Tanjiro replied.

"Ehe.. Oh, sheesh, what's that?!" (Y/n) asked, seemingly scared, with her voice kind of muffled.

"Huh? What's that where— Oh, goodness.."

Tanjiro and (Y/n) spotted a random crow going straight up smash in a building. Blood flowing out of the crow as it fell to the ground from the lofty building.

"That was not what I wanted to see. That looks hella worse than demons, seriously." (Y/n) awkwardly chuckled.

"Yes."

"Uh— wait.. That building.. Uh, why does it look kind of.. modern?.."

She just noticed, the building looked far different from what was usually seen in the Taisho-era of Japan, also in the world of Demon Slayer.

What was going on?

"... Modern? (Y/n), that's just a normal mansion. What do you mean..?" Tanjiro asked, confused.

(Y/n) glanced back at the building again, and now was greeted with the sight of.. a normal Japanese-styled mansion..?

"Uh, I mean— Dude, Tanjiro! I just saw a modern type of house! Why did it change?!"
Aira retorted back, trying to defend herself.

".. Modern house..? (Y/n), I-i think.. Have you considered wearing glasses?"

"Tanjiro, seriously?!"

"My apologies. Let's move on forward.. Please tell me if you see anything out of the blue or unusual."

"Got it."

With that being said, they both made their way inside the village. But their trailing was abruptly cut off by a group of villagers and a pile of talismans.

"Hey, you two!"

"ARGH! GHOSTS!"

"No, Kintei. They're people."

".. Oh."

"What are you two doing here?! How did you even get inside?!" One of the villagsrs asked.

"Please don't panic! We both are here to solve whatever problems you have!" Tanjiro said, though panicking himself.

"That's right, Tanjiro! Tell them!" (Y/n) goaled with Tanjiro.

"Huh? We've had enough! A lot of people like this came  and it only seemed to worsen the ghost's crimes! So get away!"

"We're here to help, please believe us.." (Y/n) added, trying to convince them.

"No wa—"

"If they're offering to help, is this how you treat them?" A man, who seemed rather very young compared to the man speaking before, interrupted.

"Who the hell is he?"

(Y/n) thought to herself, seemingly confused at the sheer amount of new people that were getting entangled in the conversation.

"U-uh, sir! W-we were just—"

"No excuse is going to help you anymore."

"B-but sir.."

"Let them in."

"Damn it! I-i mean.. s-sure.. sir.."

"..Hey, Tanjiro? Who's that dude?"

(Y/n) asked, whispering to Tanjiro in hopes of not interrupting the other young man's conversation.

"I don't quite know myself.. Maybe he's the village's chief?" Tanjiro replied, seemingly doubtful of his own words.

"Village chief? But I thought oldies were the ones who were the chiefs of villages..." (Y/n) trailed off.

"Yes, that's why I don't really know if my speculation is correct.."

"Oh, maybe the demon devoured the village's chief, too?"

"Your kasugai crow said that the demon only devoured old people, right? Maybe that's why.. This guy might be the acting chief of this village! That makes sense!" (Y/n) said, proud of herself for finally saying one thing that made sense.

"Now that you say about it, it seems to make sense.. I think you're right." He started.

"Anyways, just to make sure, I think we should discuss about this with that guy." Tanjiro replied, processing the information in his mind.

"Oh, sure, then."

"You two! The chief is calling you both inside. Come on, fast!" A man said, his voice full of spite as he stared at Tanjiro and (Y/n) with a frown.

"Coming, dude!" (Y/n) replied, nonchalantly, pulling the poor Tanjiro with her.

The two of them made their way towards the room where the chief was seemingly inside.

(Y/n) dragged her feet inside the room. There was the young man both of them saw before. He's the chief, huh.

"Please, take a seat." The man politely said.

"Woah, finally a guy who isn't frowning at us!" (Y/n) thought to herself.

"Hello, sir.. What is the matter with your village? The peopld are panicking.."

Tanjiro started, unsure of how to talk to the man, even though he knew about the demon devouring the people.

"Ah, you two are here for that.. A lot of people like you two recently came, but they disappeared along with some of the people." The man calmly stated.

"H-huh? Were those the kanoe-ranked slayers sent before us?!"

________________________________
                       —×—