Chapter 5.2: Class On An Outing

(DECEMBER 2010)

---

RICH MUTATIO

The cabin was two stories high and twice as long as a school bus. The ground floor had long window panels with a singular door in the middle while the upper level had smaller, separated windows.

"Let's get you settled in your rooms before we have dinner," Mr Darley said as the bus parked.

The driver hopped out for a stretch. Once we had all our stuff, we waved him goodbye and followed our teachers inside.

We stopped in a room with an angled floor and hooks.

"This is the mudroom," Mr Cranston explained. "All your outside gear stays in this room and shouldn't go further past this door."

We changed out of our snow gear, leaving them in the mudroom before heading into the lounge.

There were long couches in the carpeted area that could easily fit eight people each. In the corner was the game area which had tables, board games, and an empty kitchen that no one cared about.

"Listen up," Mr Darley hollered. "The upstairs is the sleeping quarters. The left side will be the boys' area and the girls are on the right. There is a hallway at the back that connects both sides. You look like a close class so I'm trusting and allowing you to go to each other's sides. Each room has four beds and you can bunk with anyone. Run. Actually, don't run, if you get hurt it'll be our fault."

With our bags in hand, we ran upstairs.

"I told you not to run!" Mr Darley complained.

"We're choosing to obey your first order," Grant said.

Charlie and I went into the room closest to the hallway. It had two bunk beds on both sides and just enough space in between to stretch your arms.

I climbed into one of the top bunks whilst Charlie climbed in the other. I opened my body like a star, letting my back loosen up a bit.

I wish I could sleep right now...

"I wish I could sleep right now..."

Bond and Conan walked in not long after.

"Looks like you two already took dibs," Bond said as he took the bed under me. Conan took the one beneath Charlie.

I yawned, hopping out of the top bunk. "Let's explore."

All the boys gathered in front of a metallic door. Grant pushed it open causing the automatic light to turn on. It was the bathroom.

We headed inside, inspecting the sinks, stalls, and showers.

Howard inspected a shower curtain, urging Hunter to go on the other side. "This is see-through. I'm 100% showering with underwear on."

A few of the others agreed.

"Cowards," Bond said. "So what if it's a little see-through?"

"Take a shower naked if you're not a coward."

"I will. I'm putting my trust that the curtain will do its job."

"Yeah, I'll shower in my birthday suit too," I said. "When you go into a hot spring in Japan, you do it naked. Mano-a-mano."

"But we're in Canada..." Grant pointed out.

We made our way to the lounge and waited for the girls, who slowly made their way downstairs.