⠀𝟬𝟬𝟭⠀⠀⠀The Heart's Tragedy

𝗩𝗢𝗟𝗨𝗠𝗘 𝗜.      Truth About Love

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐎𝐍𝐄

❛ Are you 𝒂𝒗𝒐𝒊𝒅𝒊𝒏𝒈 me? ❜⦗𝐒𝟎𝟏𝐄𝟎𝟏︰𝗦𝘂𝗺𝗺𝗲𝗿 𝗛𝗼𝘂𝘀𝗲⦘━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

⦗𝐒𝟎𝟏𝐄𝟎𝟏︰𝗦𝘂𝗺𝗺𝗲𝗿 𝗛𝗼𝘂𝘀𝗲⦘
━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

SUMMER WAS MAISIE FLORES' LEAST FAVORITE SEASON FOR MULTIPLE REASONS. Reason one was that it rarely rained in Cousins Beach, and Maisie loved rain; it was her favorite weather.

               Reason two was that it was the season her fathers had died.

               Yeah, fathers. Maisie was lucky enough to have two, but it was double the pain when she had lost them.

               However, Summer at Susannah Fisher's beach house in Cousins made every summer better.

               Hopefully, that will still apply to this one. At least, that's what Maisie prayed to whatever gods would listen as their ETA reached nine minutes.

               Maisie's entire body jumped up from her seat as her mother, Isla, drove over a big speed bump. Her arm fell off the passenger seat's window, and she bumped her head on the window.

               A hiss escaped her as a hand suddenly rubbed the top of her head, "I'm sorry, Mai." Her mother apologized, and her lips turned down into a smile. Maisie reached up to remove her mother's hand from her hair before planting a kiss on the back of it. "It's fine, mami."

               Isla turned her hand in Maisie's grasp to squeeze her hand, "You've been quiet this whole ride." Maisie waits for Isla to continue, but the older woman doesn't. In Isla fashion, she only hints that she wants something so as to not come off as invasive. That is until she wants to be invasive.

               Maisie looks at her mother out of the corner of her eyes, watching Isla tap the steering wheel rapidly. "I'm just a little jetlagged, that's all." Jetlagged from the flight they had a week ago, she means.

               If Maisie had told her mother the truth, she'd say; Yeah, I've just been thinking about how I hope I no longer have feelings for the two boys who I'll be spending the next three months with. Oh, and my soul sister has a crush on one of the boys so that just puts more pressure on me to get rid of my feelings.

               Alas, Maisie didn't tell the truth about her feelings very often.

               Maisie's phone pinged in her pocket as Isla continued, "I hope you know that I don't buy that," Maisie pulled out her phone and sent her mom a wide-eyed look, and Isla shrugged with a soft laugh, "But I won't push, baby. You'll tell me on your own time."