chapter six

CHAPTER SIX
tornado warnings

"I don't know, it's hard, I mean..." Kaleb sighs, "There's always the possibility that I won't get the answer I want."

Anna furrows her eyebrows, quietly walking past the corner while Kaleb is on the phone.

"I know, I know," Kaleb says, "It's just hard to say that. Like, of course I love--"

"Kaleb?" Anna cuts him off in a hushed whisper, "Who's that?"

Kaleb raises his eyebrows, "I gotta go." He hangs up the phone, "Sorry, it was Tara."

"It's fine," Anna smiles, "What were you talking about? You love..."

"Oh!" Kaleb chuckles nervously, "I was thinking about how much I love... fuck, uh, mechanical pencils?"

Anna nods, "...Right."

Kaleb lets out a breath he didn't know he was holding as Anna turns around and leaves.

He doesn't know how he's gonna tell her.

•••

"Hey," Shawn says, walking into the room, "What's up? You wanted to see me? In school, even though we live together...?"

Olive chuckles, "You know I want what's best for you."

"...Yeah."

"And I want what's best for my best friend," Olive continues, "And you are what's best for her. And she's what's best for you. So please hear her out."

"Is Alana here?" Shawn asks.

"Yeah," Alana says from behind.

Shawn turns around, "Hi."

Olive realizes she's intruding, so she walks out of the room, letting them talk.

Olive is actually outside of the room eavesdropping-- but they don't need to know that.

"I'm really sorry," Alana acknowledges, "I... I shouldn't have kissed you to make Lincoln jealous. If I was going to kiss you, it should've been because I like you. And I know I said that's why, but I have to be honest, I literally only kissed you to make him jealous--"

"You're not making me feel any better here."

"You're right," Alana nods, "Yes. Um, I do like you. I really like you. I promise."

"That's not how you act," Shawn shakes his head, "I mean, you didn't want to be in a real relationship, so I'd rather you just give it to me straight. Do you want to be something with me or not?"

Alana stares at him for a moment before settling on something to say, "Would you... would you want to be my boyfriend?"

Shawn raises his eyebrows. He was not expecting that.

"I... well, I haven't confirmed whether or not I'm still mad at you," Shawn shrugs, pausing for a moment, "...I mean, I'm not. And I kinda do want to be your boyfriend. I was about to ask you yesterday. At the party. You looked kinda cute."

"Only kinda?" Alana gives a disappointed look, "I mean, I can live with that. As long as you do want to be boyfriend and girlfriend. You do, right?"

Shawn softly laughs, "Yeah. I do."

"God, you make it sound like we're getting married." Alana says.

"Shut up." Shawn laughs a bit louder this time.

"Don't tell me to shut up." Alana mimics his voice, referencing their conversation at the party.

•••

Gina sits awkwardly at the kitchen island with Olive.

"So..." Olive smiles, "What's up? Other than the obvious."

Gina chuckles, "Oh, not much. I've been occupied. College applications are going to be a nightmare."

"Obviously," Olive shrugs, "I mean, don't worry about it now. You should wait this whole thing out."

"You're pretty cool to live with," Gina says, "Like, I wouldn't choose anyone else to live with after my mom kicked me out of the house."

Olive laughs, "Wow. It's an honor."

Gabrielle enters the room with two bowls of cereal in her hands, "Now, I know you can get your own cereal but I feel like doing everything for you now..."

"I'm so glad you're staying here, Mom never makes us shit," Olive mutters, and instantly regrets saying 'shit' in front of her mom.

"Normally, I would kill you for that, Olive," Gabrielle shakes her head, "But it's alright."

Olive's jaw drops at the effect that having another kid over is having on her mom.

"Thanks, Mom." Gina says.

Shit. Gina thinks, Did I just say mom?

"I mean..." Gina widens her eyes, "Woah, sorry, not Mom, I don't know why I said that. Sorry, Miss Foster."

Gabrielle shakes her head, "You don't need to apologize."

Gabrielle turns her head to Daniel, and Daniel gives her this look that says absolutely not.

Gabrielle sort of likes the sound of that.

Being Gina's mom.

A/N: gabrielle wants to adopt gina?? twist?? 😻 cammcake