16. Mon Amour

Hailey's pov

Kika walks beside me, both of us making our way down the stairs where Charles and Pierre are waiting outside the hotel.

I take a look at Charles but then immediately shift my attention to where I'm walking, afraid I might fall from staring too long at him. He's wearing a matching shirt and pants, all in white, looking like a prince straight out of a fairytale.

Pierre approaches Kika, with a bright smile on his face, complimenting her and giving her a light peck on the lips.

I wounder what it feels like, to be loved like that by someone. It seems so easy but it is completely hard for me whenever I try.

The couple turn their heads towards us, waiting for a greeting from both me and Charles. I just stand there, not knowing what to do. I know I should hug Charles, or kiss him, or say 'hi', or do something other than look dumbfounded but it's hard when Charles seems like he's frozen in place. All I manage to offer is a small smile.

Charles just stands there, his mouth slightly open like he's in awe, looking at me. My self esteem starts running low because of the way he's staring at me. I can't read his expression, I can't figure out what is going through his mind right now.

"Mate?" Pierre hits Charles on the ribs with his elbow, bringing him back to reality.

"Ehem." Charles clears his throat and blinks a few times "Sorry mon amour." He says and puts his arm around me, his grip tight around my waist, pulling me closer and towards him.

I almost flinch at his nickname. I try to remind myself that it's not real, that he doesn't actually mean it but as he slowly caresses my lower back, I almost fail.

Once I'm in his embrace, close enough to smell his cologne, Charles presses his lips to my cheek, giving me a soft kiss and taking me completely by surprise.

"You look absolutely breathtaking." He compliments loud enough for our friends to hear. He looks in my eyes as he says it and a part of me wonders if he actually meant it.

Suddenly Pierre pulls out a red rose, with a ribbon on the stem, gently and carefully prepared beforehand. He gives it to Kika as her eyes light up and I can feel Charles stiffen from beside me while letting out a long sigh.

"Sorry." He says and I turn to look at him "I forgot."

"It's fine." I gently say.

It's not like I was expecting Charles to show up with flowers for me or anything. For this reason, I'm not even disappointed.

We all start walking towards our cars that are parked next to each other.

Charles takes my hand in his, guiding me towards his ferrari but he lets go as soon as Pierre and Kika aren't looking. He opens the car door for me, just in case there is paparazzi around and helps me into the car before making his way towards the driver's seat. Silence fills the car as soon as he gets in and I try to think of something to say that might ease the situation we're in.

"Try not to break anything this time." Charles says and starts the car, the smile he was faking slowly fading.

Charles is not prince charming, this is not a fairytale and we're not in love.

I look out of the window the entire drive.

-—————

Camera lights are flashed at us when we arrive at a luxurious club. I reach for the car door, but Charles takes me by my wrist, stopping me.