Chapter 4

I feel like I have a weird way of writing, so I'm working to improve my writing style. If you notice that anything doesn't make sense or is written weirdly, please let me know.
------

After the events of lunch, Danny was given a tour of the manor. He found that it made navigating the hallways far easier, but he still took a wrong turn every once in a while.

He spent the rest of the day reading a book he had taken interest in during the tour of the library. This was meant to be a home, but it had a library twice the size of the one in his old school.

The book, as it turned out, was one of Tim's. It was about the milky way galaxy, and included information about every planet and its moons. The book was a bit outdated, with Pluto still listed as a planet, but Danny liked it better that way. He firmly believed that Pluto is a planet.

He politely declined dinner, claiming to be tired. Alfred accepted this excuse, allowing him to head to his room early.

This worked out perfectly for Danny. He had grabbed a map of Gotham from the library when no eyes were on him. He spent his time studying the map until he believed everyone should be asleep.

He took a moment to listen to the sounds throughout the mansion, noting that he could only hear one heartbeat. Was Wayne manor so large that people on the other side of it were out of his enhanced hearing range?

Irregardless, Danny two rings of white light surround him, starting at his waist and moving in opposite directions. As they passed over him, his clothes became a black jumpsuit with white gloves, shoes, and a white symbol on his chest.

After checking that the door to the bedroom was locked, he walked out to the balcony and jumped. A normal person would have fallen, but gravity isn't exactly an issue for someone who can fly.

Danny sped off towards the city, humming the song "Funkytown" as he flew over the suburbs.

When he reached the city, the half-ghost realized something important that he had completely overlooked before. He didn't know where the police station was.

Stupid, stupid, stupid, Danny thought to himself as flew around, scanning every building he passed. While he couldn't find the station in the massive city, he did find a library.

He landed in the alley beside it, making sure to check for people nearby before he detransformed. Danny couldn't exactly walk (or rather, fly) into a public space looking like the goddamn ghost of Christmas past.

If he had realized he was going to be seen by other people, he would've changed out of the pajama pants and shirt he was wearing before he left.

He walked around to the front, being greeted by a woman at the front desk as he entered.

"Anything i can help you with, sweetheart?" the woman asked, her polite tone not quite matching the wary look on her face. This was Gotham after all, and Danny probably seemed suspicious walking into a library at- he checked the clock above her desk- 1:15 AM.

Odd for a library to be open this late.

"I just need to look something up. Do you have public computers?"

"Sure we do. Just around the corner there, dear," she smiled sweetly.

Despite her harmless appearance, Danny was getting bad vibes from this lady. He hurried over to the computer, eager to finish his business and leave.

He pulled up a map, searching for the Gotham city police department. Once he found it, he wrote the address on his hand with a pen somebody had left behind. He also did his best to memorize where he was on the map compared to the station, as his sense of direction wasn't the best.

Danny made his way towards the door, but stopped in his tracks as a blue smoke drifted out of his mouth. His ghost sense. He hastily looked around, but no ghost appeared. Only he and the librarian stood in the room.

Oh.

So that's what that feeling had been before. Danny turned back towards the older woman, who now wore an intimidating grin. What made it more threatening, though, was the sharp set of teeth that could now be seen.

"Look, lady, I don't really have time to deal with you. Can you just tell me what you want so I can go?" Danny had become used to malicious ghosts showing up around him. Usually, once they were satisfied with whatever they were trying to do, they would be off on their merry way.

"I don't want anything from you, exactly. I'm just here to deliver a message."

"What is it, then?" this had peaked Danny's curiosity.

"You really should check in on your family more often," she cackled, causing Danny to freeze.

"Who sent you?" he inquired, his voice raised, "What do you mean by that?"

"That is of no importance to you, child. Bye bye now." With that, the woman disappeared, leaving Danny with an ominous, sinking feeling in his stomach.

Once he was finished with what he was doing, he would have even more important matters to attend to.

The rattled teen made his way back to the alleyway, where he transformed into his ghost counterpart with a flash of light and took off into the sky.

Danny flew in the direction he believed the police station to be, slowing down just enough to read the street signs. He halted immediately when he found the street with a name matching the one on his hand.

The former hero found it ironic that he was now the one breaking and entering. Well, just entering. He turned invisible, then phased through the outer wall on the side of the building.

Flying through all the rooms, Danny eventually found a room full of lab equipment. While he recognized some of the instruments from his old high school chemistry lab, the rest seemed foreign to him.

Danny had always been something of a science geek, and if he had enough time he would've had a field day looking at every little tool.

Alas, he was a ghost on a mission.

Danny found a small refrigerators against a wall, labeled, "Specimens only, no food," and began searching inside.

Good thing there was only one blood sample with green spots floating around in it. A white sticker on it read, "To be examined."

At least Danny had been lucky once that night; they hadn't run any tests on his blood yet. Though, that was probably lucky for them too. There was no telling what could happen if the ectoplasm in his blood reacted badly to tests

He turned the little vial intangible along with himself, leaving the police station behind.

Now there was only the issue of what to do with the sample. He couldn't risk keeping it in the manor, with the possibility of someone finding it. He couldn't be sure that destroying it wouldn't cause it to explode or worse.

Danny glanced at the time displayed on a TV screen in the window of a bar. 5:30 AM.

He might just have another option, but it would be risky. He definitely couldn't get it done before breakfast, so the vial would have to stay in the manor for one day.

Hopefully it would be safe until he could deal with it.

------
1.2k words
Please comment/vote if you enjoyed this chapter!
Also, my cat says hi.