Chapter 8

~Person of Interest: Me, Myself, and I...and Seaweed Brain~

So now...you know my secret...the only thing I thought I was going to take to my grave.

Now, I'm going to fast forward in our story a little bit. You know of The Great Valdez Break-Up, the scandalous tale of my time with Jason Grace, but you don't know about the last two. You see, Jason and I did call it off, Piper was around more and more, so we decided to save ourselves.

And now...for the final two...the hardest of them all...Percy Jackson and Nico di Angelo.

Let's begin.

It was three months later. The fall air began to make the cabins and outside cold, the girls started wearing sweaters, and I was ready to finish what I had started.

I slowly walked towards the beach, my arms crossed and pulled close to my chest. My blonde curls laid past my shoulders and looked even lighter against my deep red sweater.

"Hey, Percy!" I called, waving when I saw him turn

He beamed, "Hey, Caroline!"

I stood next to him, the water almost touching my shoes.

He wore a t-shirt for a band we both liked and a pair of dark jeans. His almost black hair was shagging in front of his sea-green eyes.

The water smell distantly of salt and the flowers growing near by. As I stood next to him, he started to skip stones.

"So how's Annabeth?" I asked.

He scoffed, "Great, absolutely wonderful," his tone was rich with sarcasm, which gave me somewhat of a smirk.

"Having problems? I am an Aphrodite girl, let me help!"

I sat down on the shore and he did the same,

"Alright, where do I start? Well, after we start college, she's been talking about getting married and having kids. That scares me. I'm twenty-one! I don't want to get married now! I love her, I really do, but kids?"

I nodded, understanding what he meant,

"Have you tried talking to her about it? Maybe try asking her if you can just see what's going on after you graduate?"

He shook his head, making his hair shag, "She's too persistent. She won't listen to me!"

I made a humming noise as I tried to think of something. Percy continued to talk,

"You won't believe this, but I even caught her looking at bridal magazines! I'm too young for this!"

I laughed a little, "Percy, that's perfectly understandable. You guys are kinda young, maybe you need to sit her down and say, 'Look, I'm not ready for this.' And then maybe she'll understand."

He let out a deep exhale, "You're so lucky you don't have to worry about this crap. Sometimes..." his voice drifted into the wind.

"Sometimes what?"

"Sometimes I wish I was single again. I didn't have any worries, I could hang back, check out girls, and just be chill."

I looked out over the water.

"It sounds to me like you need a break. Maybe, just maybe, you guys need to take some time apart."

"I love her, I love her a lot, but that sounds like a good idea. A really good idea..."

I started to draw a heart in the sand with my finger, Percy watching me carefully.

"Thanks, Caroline." he whispered.

"Hey, that's what I'm here for. I like helping people's relationships."

He laughed and looked out at the water. I glanced up at the side of his face. His eyes seemed to have the reflection of the water, making them look so beautiful. I could still smell the distant salt water, making me think of my home in California.

"Caroline?"

I snapped out of my daze and perked up,

"Yeah?"

"What if Annabeth and I don't make it through this break? What happens then?"

I pondered the question before replying with,

"Then it'll hurt, and it will hurt because it mattered."