Chapter Fourteen

Battle Against Luke

🍎

Snow frowned as one of Luke’s bear-sized henchmen grabbed her by the collar, not being gentle about it in the slightest. He did the same to Annabeth and Grover, holding them both with his other hand. But when the second tried to grab Tyson, the young Cyclops punched him into a pile of luggage and roared at Luke. 

“Percy,” said Luke calmly. “Tell your giant to back down or I’ll have Oreius bash your friends’ heads together.” 

Oreius grinned and raised Annabeth, Snow and Grover off the ground. The three kicked and screamed. 

“What do you want, Luke?” Percy growled. 

He smiled, the scar rippling on the side of his face. He gestured toward the end of the dock, where a very large ship, bigger than any of the boats on the port, stood. Snow’s eyes widened. 

“Why Percy,” Luke said. “I want to extend my hospitality, of course.” 

The bear twins herded them aboard the ship, throwing them down on the aft deck in front of a swimming pool with sparkling fountains that sprayed in the air. A dozen of Luke’s assorted goons—snake people, Laistrygonians, demigods in battle armor—had gathered to watch the show. 

“Snow, long time no see,” Luke grinned, bending down to her kneeled height. “We missed you, you know? Was strange to see someone in your place. Didn’t feel the same.” 

Snow stayed silent. 

Luke just grinned, unbothered. “We didn’t get a chance to talk, right? Consider my offer–” 

“Leave her alone!” Percy yelled. 

Sighing and clicking his tongue, Luke stood straighter, quickly giving Snow a ‘I’ll come back’ look. Snow just stared back blankly. 

“And so, the Fleece,” Luke mused. “Where is it?” He looked them over, prodding Percy’s shirt with the tip of his sword, poking Grover’s jeans. 

“Hey!” Grover yelled. “That’s real goat fur under there!” 

“Sorry, old friend,” Luke smiled. “Just give me the Fleece and I’ll leave you to return to your, ah, little nature quest.” 

“Blaa-ha-ha!” Grover protested. “Some old friend!” 

“Maybe you didn’t hear me.” Luke’s voice was dangerously calm. “Where— is—the— Fleece?” 

“Not here,” Percy said. “We sent it on ahead of us. You messed up.” He ignored the shocked and angry look Annabeth and Snow were giving him. The growing anger in Luke’s face was something he couldn’t pass up. 

Luke’s eyes narrowed. “You’re lying. You couldn’t have…” His face reddened in realization. “Clarisse?” 

Percy nodded. 

“You trusted…you gave…” 

“Yeah.” 

“Without her!?” He pointed his sword at Snow. 

“Long time no see, remember?” Snow shrugged. “I missed you.” she stated blankly, though there was a faint smirk on her face. 

Gritting his teeth, Luke called, “Agrius!” 

The bear giant flinched. “Y-Yes?” 

“Get below and prepare my steed. Bring it to the deck. I need to fly to the Miami Airport, fast.”