Chapter Two

The Vice Principal Gets A Missile Launcher

🍎

Nico?” 

Snow couldn’t believe her eyes. It was the boy she met in the lotus hotel about…two years ago? It felt longer than that though, and the boy barely changed since she last saw him. Maybe he grew a few inches but nothing noticeable. She could see his mythomagic cards that he invited her to play with and it brought a small smile on Snow’s face.

“How do you know him?” Grover asked. 

Ah, right. Snow forgot she blurted that out. Eight pairs of eyes were staring at her, all brimming with questions and explanations for how she knew one of the kids. 

“Um, it’s a long story–actually not really a long story. But I–” 

“You can tell us later,” Annabeth said, cutting off her rambling. If they continue to stay in one place for too long, they’ll look suspicious. “Have you told them?” 

Grover shook his head. “You know how it is. That could put them in more danger. Once they realize who they are, their scent becomes stronger.” 

He looked at Percy when he said that, and the latter nodded in understanding. 

“So let’s grab them and get out of here.” Percy said, stepping up. 

Percy was about to step forward, but Thalia placed her hand on his shoulder. Looking to where she was gazing, Dr. Thorn had slipped out of a doorway near the bleachers and was standing near the di Angelo siblings. He nodded coldly in their direction. His blue eyes seemed to glow. 

He seemed to know who they were. Snow’s suspicion confirmed that he wasn’t affected by whatever Thalia pulled on the woman. He probably wanted to make it seem like he was convinced until he was alone. 

“Don’t look at the kids,” Thalia ordered. “We have to wait for a chance to get them. We need to pretend we’re not interested in them. Throw him off our scent.” 

“How?” 

“We’re four powerful half-bloods. Our presence should confuse him. Mingle. Act natural. Do some dancing. But keep an eye on those kids.” 

“Dance?” Snow repeated thoughtfully. 

Thalia nodded. She cocked her ear to the music and made a face. “Ugh. Who chose the Jesse McCartney?” 

Grover looked hurt. “I did.” 

"Oh my gods, Grover. That is so lame. Can't you play, like, Green Day or something?" 

"Green who?" 

"Never mind. Let's dance." 

"But I can't dance!" 

"You can if I'm leading," Thalia said. "Come on, goat boy." 

Grover yelped as Thalia grabbed his hand and led him onto the dance floor. Annabeth smiled. 

“You look happy.” Snow said.

“Yeah. It’s just…it’s good to have Thalia back.” 

Snow beamed at that. Through the story Annabeth told her during their quest to the Sea of Monsters, having Thalia alive, standing and talking must be elating. She was happy her friend had someone she admired back. 

Annabeth glanced at them, eyes racking the two and her stormy gray eyes looked very calculating. 

“Well, I’m gonna mingle,” she said. “Can’t stand around doing nothing.”