𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐟𝐨𝐮𝐫

───── DELPHI DIDN'T REMEMBER WHEN SHE FELL ASLEEP, coaxed by the dimming of the sky and the minuscule rocking of her bed frame as the train moved, but she did remember when she woke up

───── DELPHI DIDN'T REMEMBER WHEN SHE FELL ASLEEP, coaxed by the dimming of the sky and the minuscule rocking of her bed frame as the train moved, but she did remember when she woke up. It would be a challenge for anyone to forget the sight of Helvius bursting into the room, marching around as he repeated, "Rise and shine and greet the day with a smile!" in a sweeping, sing-song voice.

His excitement so early in the morning made her grit her teeth. How did he find the energy to flounce around? What did she do to deserve him waking her? She groaned low in her chest as Helvius began clapping his hands to his own off-beat tune. Delphi forced herself to sit straight in bed, though her back and neck ached with protest.

Her mouth felt as though it had been stuffed with cotton, her eyes crusted shut as she fought against the sudden burst of light that flooded her room when Helvius tossed back the curtains.

At least he tuned down the noise.

Helvius spun on the toe of his high-heeled shoe and smiled at her. His hands clapped together. "Up, up, up! We have such a big day planned, Delphi, so get up and get ready!"

Delphi stared at the door as he left the room with a swish, his voice echoing off the walls as he marched down the hall, once again singing.

She tried to imagine what it was like being excited for what was to come. She once again imagined herself as that smooth-skinned Capitolite, waking up late and flouncing around her room, excited for the arrival of the future tributes in the Capitol.

It was harder to stomach than yesterday, so she quickly stopped.

With a muscle-deep, full-body ache, Delphi forced herself to get out of bed. She had slept in her Reaping clothes, not wanting to let go of her last comforts of home, but she couldn't wear them now that they were in the Capitol. Not only did they feel gross against her skin, but it wouldn't sell the 'adore me, I'm one of you, please don't let me die' image that she and Jason were angling for.

She crossed the room to the closets built into the wall and was pleasantly surprised to find out they were not, in fact, just for show. In fact, the closet held more choices than her and her mother's combined.

Dresses, shirts, skirts and pants were hanging on a rack, all pristinely pressed and made of different fabrics. Silk, lace, cotton, and more that Delphi couldn't name. They were all matched into outfits because, obviously, the poor fishermen and women from the Districts wouldn't have the faintest clue how to dress themselves.

Delphi cringed at the thought.

Unable to stomach the sight of the Capitol's wealth for much longer, Delphi yanked breezy cotton pants and a matching shirt from a hanger.

Quickly, she dressed, not wanting to waste any more time lest Helvius return under the impression that she was dragging her feet. She buttoned her pants, smoothed out her light blue shirt, and crossed the room again to check her reflection in the vanity by the door.