𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐬𝐢𝐱

───── THE TRAINING TOWER WAS EXCLUSIVELY FOR TRIBUTES, so it was empty for all but one week out of the year

───── THE TRAINING TOWER WAS EXCLUSIVELY FOR TRIBUTES, so it was empty for all but one week out of the year. It loomed over the rest of the city, a staggering twelve stories with a crystal elevator and one floor dedicated to each District. It was hollow and sad despite the rich decoration, echoing with fifty years worth of ghosts.

It echoed louder with Helvius' voice.

Delphi didn't know how he had found them, but Helvius had intercepted them right before they got into the elevator, flushed in the face with excitement.

"You were glowing, Delphi!" What was supposed to be a lighthearted swat to her shoulder has Delphi teetering, her knees weak from the jostling of the chariot ride. Mags caught Delphi, and Finnick steadied Mags in turn. Completely oblivious to it all, Helvius turned to Jason, "And you were charming! When you caught those flowers... and when you gave one to Delphi..."

Helvius trailed off. Suddenly, all eyes were on her, and Delphi's fingers flexed around the stem of the flower still in her grip.

"You caught it?" Finnick asked for clarification, and when Jason nodded, he hummed thoughtfully. "You have great reflexes."

Frustration wrinkled Mags' forehead. "Understatin' yourself is underminin' yourself."

Jason kicked at the floor of the elevator, lowering his head at the praise and gentle scolding. "Anyone could catch anything, though."

Cooing once more at his bashfulness, Helvius placed his hand on his chest. "So sweet. I made sure to let everyone know it! Brutal has been done. But to know you two have managed to struggle against the barbarism of your District..."

His eyes misted over, and he pulled a handkerchief from his pocket, dabbing at the corners of his eyes as the doors opened. "Everyone may have their reservations, but I must admit, it's almost inspiring."

Mags made a soft noise, offense crossing her face, but gone twice as quick. Delphi's mouth thinned into a plastic smile. "I'm happy you think so."

The doors to the apartments opened automatically, revealing a living space with abstract metal and glass statues.

"It's sea glass," Helvius told her when he noticed her staring, "Such a gorgeous thing, too. The sand is compressed by the waves, and this is the result!"

Delphi's brows furrowed. Sea glass wasn't made from sand. It was just regular glass, tumbled by sand. But Helvius looked so sure of himself, and she didn't want to start an argument she'd never be able to win, so Delphi just said, "You always manage to surprise me."

Finnick and Jason chuckled at the veiled insult while Helvius fluffed his hair with a proud smile, none the wiser.

"I try," Helvius answered, "Now if you'll excuse me, I want to freshen up a bit before dinner."