✩1✩

──── •◦ ◦• ────

"thank you."

──── •◦ ◦• ────

You slowly open your eyes, adjusting to the light, and turn your head to the side, where you see a sleeping Varian in a bed on the other side of the room. He appeared so peaceful that you couldn't help but smile as you admired his features.

PAUSE

Let me explain further. My name is y/n, and the boy you see is Varian, my best friend since diapers. Our mothers had been best friends for 16 years before having us only a day apart, and ever since then Varian and I have been inseparable, and nothing has changed, well, except for one thing, our mothers. They left one morning to go on a trip together, and the next they were gone. Despite the tragedy, it brought our fathers closer together, and my father and I even moved in with them to help support each other!

RESUME

You stare at Varian for quite some time, remembering how much you adored him. You notice the blue streak in his hair and smile at the memory from 3 years ago of the two of you mixing plants and water to create a substance that stains your hair. You remember the day he tried to apply it to a strand of your hair but failed miserably, requiring you to repair it before applying it to a strand of his hair.

You giggle silently as you turn your attention to his face, you notice his mouth slightly gaped, revealing his two front teeth, which you always found adorable. You raise your eyes slightly, focusing on all of his freckles, which remind you of stars in the night sky, you then found yourself staring deep into his big blue eyes, oh how you loved them, it was like staring into an endless ocean and- wait.

You sat up quickly shifting your gaze throughout the room before turning back to Varian "you know it's rude to stare" he smiles softly, rubbing the sleep from his eyes. You form a small smile "good morning, sleepyhead," you say calmly as you get up, he looks at you, lost in thought before replying sheepishly, "it's always a good morning with you here" he looks away in embarrassment, mentally scolding himself for saying such a thing.

You pause for a second, looking back at him with a large smile on your face, and slowly approach him before placing your hand on his cheek; his expression softens as he looks up at you, a pink tint forming across his face. You pinch his cheek and wiggle it around a little "you're such a cutie patootie" you jokingly say as if you're talking to a toddler, his face flushes red with embarrassment "stopp, you know I hate it when you do that" he whines, pushing you away. You turn your back to him and start walking out, pausing at the door you smile "that's why I do it." As you walk out of the bedroom and into the kitchen, you notice a note from your father on the table.

"Y/n, I have decided to help Quirin with his duty from this day on so I may not be home as much anymore.
Much love, dad"

You sigh as you toss the note aside and grab the pancake batter, starting to cook it. When it's finished, you fetch two plates and begin putting the pancakes on them; just as you placed the two dishes on the table, Varian walks out wearing his dorky clothing that he always wears. You sit down and gesture for him to do the same; he eagerly joins you and begins cutting up his meal; you look up at him, asking, "do you have anything planned for today?" You raise an eyebrow as you watch him shake his head with a mouthful of pancakes; he swallows the last of it and looks at you, "why?" You catch yourself staring into his eyes, smiling before eventually responding, "I wanted to take you somewhere" he raises an eyebrow curiously , waiting for you to continue, but you just shake your head and rush to the bedroom to change.

You walk out and towards the front door, where Varian is waiting. You grab your backpack, which you had packed the night before, and walk out the door, Varian following. Varian abruptly stopped following you into the forest, "Are you going to tell me what we're doing yet?" He inquires, and you turn to face him before replying, "I'm murdering you?" He mutters a faint "oh" before continuing to follow you into the forest, passing trees and walking through bushes until you reach your destination.

Varian stares in amazement at the field of flowers in front of him, "wow," he exclaims as he walks over to you, where you set down a blanket and sit, patting the place next to you. As he sits, he spots a gorgeous, blue lake glistening under the sun in front of you. "Wow, y/n this is stunning." He smiles broadly at the scene, and you stare at him in awe, "yeah" but are you talking about the lake?

You reach into your backpack and pull out a tiny jar of cookies to share between the two of you; within minutes, they were all gone. You gather some flowers and begin to build a flower crown when you notice Varian lying down to your side. You set your half-finished crown to the side and lie next to him, your hand in his.

"Hey, V?" You turn to your side, staring at him, he responds with a small hum, signalling you to continue, his gaze fixed on the clouds. You sigh before returning your gaze to the sky, "thank you." He looks at you, puzzled, and you softly smile, "thank you for coming and staying in my life, I really don't know what I would do without you. I feel like we've known each other for many lifetimes before this, and I'm sure there will be many more. Thank you for being by my side through my highs and lows; I am eternally grateful. Thank you for simply existing; You're my everything, V." You pause for a moment before picking up the flower crown and continuing to work on it while resuming your ramble. Varian refuses to look away, he watches you and forms a soft smile on his face, nodding every now and then to let you know he's still listening.

You sit up, watching Varian mimic your actions, and slowly raise the flower crown in your hands and place it atop his head, "for you, V. You truly deserve it," the two of you giggle at your action, your gaze lost in his eyes, oblivious to the red hue covering his face. He takes a handful of flowers and ties them together with a blade of grass before handing you the small bouquet, you place it gently in your pocket before standing up, smiling warmly, and extend your hand to him, which he gladly accepts. You walk home together, hand in hand, smiling.

But just as best friends.....right?

[1186 words]