✩2✩

──── •◦ ◦• ────

'what the fu-'

──── •◦ ◦• ────

You hear a loud 'THUD' as you suddenly wake up, and as you hastily look around the room, the first thing you notice is Varians vacant bed. Quickly rising, you put on a comfortable outfit and head down to the lab, where you observe Varian conducting additional experiments while muttering to himself. You slowly make your way to the hanger on the wall, taking your apron off, and tying it snugly around your waist before picking up your safety goggles and setting them above your head.

"Hey, V! What are we doing today?" You raise an eyebrow as you try to get a glimpse of his work by peering over his shoulder. He turns his head to the side, attempting to look at you "oh! Hey, n/n! I think someone is coming over today?" Though he seems unsure, you decide to head up to the kitchen to make some toast and hot chocolate for the two of you. Scurrying around the kitchen, you locate a tray and place everything on it before hurrying back to the lab and setting the tray down. Spotting the tray, Varian grabs a piece of toast and starts munching on it, looking up at you with a smile on his face.

After eating your breakfast and cleaning up the mess, you and Varian agreed to play a harmless prank on whoever was visiting. You take a glass orb and fill it with a chemical solution that, when broken, produces a thick fog. You place it in your pocket while Varian attempts to do up a long, dark coat. You giggle quietly as you assist him in buttoning up the rest of his coat and pulling down a gas mask with glowing green lenses over his face.

You rush out of the lab and peer out the front window to see two indistinct figures approaching the door. You alert Varian before throwing the glass orb on the ground and dashing out, closing the door behind you.

You wait at the front door for them to arrive. When you hear their voices on the other side of the door, you cautiously open it to avoid being seen. You watch as they make their way to the lab door, which has purple smoke seeping through the cracks. Smiling, you carefully sneak out the front door and head around to the side of the house, where there is a second door to the lab, and wait a couple minutes.

When you hear Varian's distorted voice, you silently open the door, allowing the fog to leak out. You decide to open the door entirely and slip inside after listening to everyone's bickering. When you notice the racoon in Varian's hands, you grab it and gently lay it outside the door before proceeding into the lab and taking a seat. You watch as Varian searches his pockets for the neutralising partical, then look to the side and pick up the partical on the desk. When you hear the door slam, you shout out to Varian and toss the partical over for him to catch.

As you watch the partical dissolve the sticky concoction, you look up to see who these visitors were. You rush to the side of Varian and kneel, "We are so sorry, your highness." You both speak softly, chuckling silently at the awkwardness.

"You know who I am?" the princess asked, her tone full of confusion. Varian chuckles, "well, how could we not? Look at your hair! Ha! Uh- Your highness" He clears his throat as you lightly smile. "Oh, please," the princess starts, breaking the silence. "Just Rapunzel" she says, smiling sweetly. "Wow," Varian says with slight hesitation as he stands up. "Really? Okay," he exclaims as he extends his hand to you, and you joyfully accept it as you get up.

"So, fantastical stories of your hair returning have spread throughout Corona" you begin before Varian speaks up, "Yeah, people say it's magic, but personally, I don't really believe that. Now, as you have probably guessed, I am a man of science, - specifically, al-" He gets cut short as the lady accompanying Rapunzel interrupts him.

"Alchemy. We know. Now listen, kids. We need your help, but let me make something clear." she grabs us by the collar of our shirts before continuing to talk, "What happens here stays here, you got it?" She drops us after we nod our heads shakily.

While Varian wheeled over a large magnifying glass, you led Rapunzel over to a long desk and motioned for her to lay down. He studies her hair through the glass, "oh yes! This is, um, very.....long." You look behind the boy to see Rapunzel's frightened countenance, and you try to calm her down "oh! Don't worry, your high-" Varian urged you to ensure that you corrected yourself, "Rapunzel!" you exclaim before Varian continues. "I am sure that I, Varian, can unlock the mystery of your hair with the power of science- OW" Varian waves his hands around dramatically, accidentally striking the massive magnifying glass, causing it to swing around and smack him in the back of the head.

You gaze at him with alarm as he raises his hand to his head for a second before returning it with a splotch of blood on his glove. "No worries! It's only a little-" he begins before he babbles and passes out, you catch him and struggle to place him down on a nearby chair.

You watch in confusion as Rapunzel starts wrapping her hair around Varians injury, 'what the
fu-' you cut your thoughts off by speaking up. "Whats this youre doing?" you question, she smiles proudly as she finishes wrapping his head. "Well, my hair had magical healing powers before, so I'm hoping now that my hair is back, it still holds those same powers," she explains before bringing a finger up to her lips, signalling you to remain silent. You nod in understanding and sit quietly while she sings an unfamiliar song.

Flower, gleam and glow
Let your powers shine
Make the clock reverse
Bring back what once was mine
Heal what has been hurt
Change the fates' design
Save what has been lost
Bring back what once was mine
What once was mine

[1045 words]